Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Real Player to Quicktime/mp3 conversion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me how to convert real player (.ram) files to quicktime or mp3 files on my mac? Is there a shareware converter that anyone knows of?

Thanks.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, the tried and true method of snabbing any audio file from one format to another is to simply put an 1/8th" cable out of the headphone jack and into the audio line in, then recording the playback via a program like audacity or sound studio.

There are programs that will essentially do the same thing, internally, Audio hijack pro is one.

As far as direct conversion, off the top of my head I don't know anything that will convert .ram to .anything Real is pretty proprietary stuff, and I usually have issues when dealing with them.

3. Yeah, I actually ended up using WireTap Pro, and it worked pretty well. Thanks for the info.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nope. No direct conversion. What I do is burn the files to a cd and then rip from the cd to mp3 files. I think Real Audio is actually AAC format. .ram or .rm I think is the streaming format. At least that is what my PC indicates.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    .ram is an actual file with data, .rm is the streaming format.(at least as far as I can remember :p ) When it comes to streaming audio capture, you need to do one of the methods I outlined above. But any file that actually contains the data, in theory can be converted, but when they use all sorts of proprietary code and no one knows exactly how they are piecing it all together, it's kinda difficult to know hot to make software to convert it.

Eitherway, burning to disc is a fine way of doing it, often times it's pretty convenient too.