1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Real Ric4001 Growl Tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GerManson, Feb 23, 2008.

1. I've been reading (a lot) on the forums, and so many of you saying that rickenbackers basses (4001) can sound very different between one each other.

I've done a recording (home and cheap one) of my 4001 to show it to you, and you tell me what! is that a good ric sound? or a bad one?

finally.. i dont care. lol.
    I love the way it sounds, just wanted to know what all you guys with a lot more of experience than me have to say.

http://germanson.phisoft.com.mx/ricsound2.mp3

http://germanson.phisoft.com.mx/ricsound3.mp3

2. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Where's the recording?

3. is UP now!

4. anyone?

5. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I hear alot of fret buzzing and I dont like the distortion. Can you post something thats clean?

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    That's a pretty good tone. Some might find fault in the distortion in it, but I can tell you from hearing the tracks from some of the most respected hits that solo'd up, most stuff actually has more hair on it than you might believe. I'd say in context, this tone might be spot on.

I will say this though, and may care to take note: A nice tone all by itself is hard to dial in because EVERYTHING has to do with how your tone sits in the mix with other instruments.

I can't tell you how many times I dialled up what I thought was the tone of doom, only to realize it got lost, or sounded like ass in the mix...but I can tell you that with my experience as an engineer and producer of what a good recorded bass tone sounds like solo'd up, I'd say you probably have a nice Riccy tone there.

:bassist:

7. it is a clean ric. just plugged into my soundcard.

8. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Then turn its volume down, you are overdriving the sound cards circuits.

9. that sounds dangerous

10. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Its not dangerous, its just more than the circuits can handle.

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    OOOF. Ok...I thought you had a stompbox going there! Yes, those are transistors clipping! LOL...I thought that is what you were shooting for.

That said, a little hair might not hurt, although I prefer a nice tubey-goodness, or as many do, a mix of both; a stomp box to overdrive into a tube amp.

12. No, it's definitely digital distortion. It's just too loud and clipping.

But it sounds like there's a nice bass tone behind that. :)

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I beg to differ (not trying to pick a fight), but I was watching the wave in real time, using one of the MS display enhancements, as I listened to it initially. The distortion was occurring in the middle of each wave, it was not clipping off the top. It was transistors, not digital overs. That's why I thought he had a stomp box going.

I think he was clipping the front end of the card.

I agree, that a nice tone probably lies behind it.

14. it sounds really good plugged into my ampeg
    i'll be searching into not overdriding soundcard, turning vol down..

i am on linux, so i dont have many software available.