1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Real stupid question, but...Advice on how to tune Ukulele?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kruton, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Alright I just got this baritone ukulele, so it's supposed to be tuned DGBE, right? It won't even register on my regular tuner and Im not very good by ear. Any Ideas?

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  3. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Herein lies my problem. I'm not good with my ears at all. I can't even do that. I try forever but i never know if i need to get sharper or flatter.

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    my teacher said to tune it by saying
    "my cat has fleas".. but that doesn't help much for you. Sorry. :(

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Tuning a uke

BTW, how are things over in OS? I haven't been over there in a few months, but I know alot of people were still trying to get things back to normal even then.

6. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Things here are pretty good (compared to biloxi and waveland). We don't have those massive FEMA trailer parks (though we do have lots of trailers). My house is the only one on my street that is 100%.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i just pulled out my baritone uke and an electric tuner. the mic on the tuner picked it up fine.

are you close enough to it? plucking loud enough? [i know this may sound stupid, but you never know]. if you're desperatley needing the tuner, maybe buy one that will pick up the sound?

-jimbo

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Why are the strings tuned like that on a uke? All close together.

9. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Thats the last 4 strings of a guitar. The few times my tuner does pick it up, it's always a G, matter where I pluck.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    How do you tune a uke? With a hammer.

11. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
  12. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    cool link, i'm gonna have to bust out my uke and look thru it later on when i have some free time

-jimbo