1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Real time beer tasting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    A colleague of mine, who cannot drink beer anymore (may god rest his beer drinking soul :cool: ), has given me some of his surplus beer samplers.

In the spirit of this sharing of beers, I propose a real time virtual beer sampling. All those who wish to participate should choose ONE beer from among their arsenal and then join in. Let everyone know what you think about the taste and the overall experience of your particular brew.

Tonight I shall choose the Angler's Pale Ale

2. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    [​IMG]

Very well balanced beer. Prominent hops and malt within a medium bodied beer.

3. Dominus Vobiscum Double (dubbel belgian style)

Look: One of the most gorgeous beer I've ever seen. Pours a dark ruby ale, fully translucent. Head is tan and very very strong.

Smell: Malt sweetness comes upfront like always. A nice blend of toffee, caramel, cinnamon. Pepper and cloves are there like on most belgians. Nice floral hop aroma present too. Smell is a bit light though.

Taste: Strong malt sweetness upfront. Toffee is very strong, but caramel is still there. Cinnamon is very strong. Some honey too. Pepper, cloves and coriander are there. Nice floral hops taste (most belgians aren't strong on hops but this one definitely has some and they are great!). Ends with a delicious dried dark fruits alcoholic taste. One of the most complex and balanced brew I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Mid to heavy mouthfeel. Really creamy all around with a nice mid carbonation that fits perfectly. Couldn't ask for more

Drinkability: Very high. Very balanced brew, easy to drink with only the ABV to slow you down.

4. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I've never understood why people drink pale ale. Isn't that non-alcoholic beer? The point of drinking beer is to get wasted, the downside is all the calories. Drinking pale ale is like getting fat without having any fun on the way there.

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    No sir:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

6. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Ah, that explains a lot. :O Pale ale simply means beer of a more clear colour?

7. It's a specific style of beer, which can be further divided into American Micro and English pale ales and American and English India pale ales. Pale originally described the color compared to the darker malts that were available at the time, which is still significantly darker than the American light lager.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I got an idea, why don't you shut the hell up and I'll drink a beer without you. :spit:

9. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My brew for tonight:

[​IMG]

Beautifully dark with a rocky head. Lots of flavors going on here with the roasted barley aggressively up front. Strong malt flavor balanced by equally strong hops and there is a chewy, raisiny flavor as well. I can really taste the alcohol heat at 9%. This beer is more like food than drink.

I just love Imperial Stouts. :cool:

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    ^Will have have to check out.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. If my last post came across as a little insensitive to your joy, you must forgive me. just got back from Portland and drank so much good beer that it created an ovarian cyst in my sensitivity gland that has subsequently resulted in me recently converting to a life committed to sympathetic Asian lesbianry.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Grumpy old witch now?

13. Gonna have some Point Amber Lager with steak, then probably my old ale with some cheese while watching a lil TV before going to bed.

14. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I see that's from the Microbrasserie Charlevoix in Baie-St-Paul, Quebec, Canada. I've never seen it anywhere near where I frequent. But I need to get some! That looks like heaven.

15. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    beer-natural-lite.

It goes down smooth and is easy on the ol' velco billfold.

[​IMG]

16. Sorry sir, everyone knows there is no substitute or THE BEAST.

beast_heaven.

17. Going to have a few of these when I get home. Probably the best beer I've ever drank. This is a review of it as I couldn't have put it better myself.

Innis & Gunn, Oak-aged Beer (Scotland)
    One of the most innovative products in the beer market today, this Edinburgh ale is aged in brand new malt whisky barrels, made from American oak. The colour is a glowing gold, with a creamy head. On the nose it is intensely aromatic, with really fresh, grassy hop character and quite a deep, almost briney note. The oak influence is more noticeable on the palate, where a luscious vanilla and caramel note permeates the beer. This adds an unguent sweetness on the mid palate, but the freshness of the hops cuts through and the acidity is clean in the finish.

[​IMG]

Note: I'd also post a pic and description of the Great Lakes Orange Peel Ale but it's not in season yet. Absolutely fantastic beer and the brewery is right down the street from me too .. hee hee

EDIT: I realize this is supposed to be a real time tasting thread but damnit, I'm not home yet. :(

18. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

So are you home yet? :p

I'm going to have another of my Imperial Stouts from Great Lakes so it's just a repeat of my previous post. :smug:

Dang, I love Imperial Stouts. :cool:

19. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

So what does it taste like?

And don't say "making love in a canoe" :meh:

20. Hmmmmm, I should have tested out an upcoming bock, but forgot to put one of those in the fridge. I think I might stick with a single Tripel Karmeleit tonight.