1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Real time midi to vst plugin??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by garya, Jun 2, 2014.

1. garya

garya Guest

Feb 10, 2014
    I was not sure what forum or title to use. I am trying to see if I can play my bass guitar and also have it play through some sort of midi convert that will use a vst plugin in real time, zero lag or next to nothing so it doesn't throw off my timing when playing. More specifically, I am thinking of the using my Kontakt 5 plugin loaded up with the Scarbee Precision bass library that sounds like round wound strings. I play a Hofner with flat wound TI Jazz strings that I love. I sometimes want that Rotosound round wound rock sound without having to actually buy another bass or switch basses to play. The best of both from one bass guitar.

2. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    All audio to MIDI conversion has some latency, as it has to wait for at least half a cycle of the waveform to pass before it can detect the pitch. As bass notes have lower frequencies with longer wavelengths, the latency gets longer the lower you play. The only exception I can think of is the Industrial Radio MIDI bass from Australia which uses the frets as switches to detect pitch.

The other systems (Roland GR55/VB99/VBass; Sonuus B2M; tablet/desktop apps/VST plugins like Jam Origin MIDI Guitar etc) might work, but you'll need to adapt your playing style. The ones I've tried have been tricky - they glitch, miss notes, add extra notes, misread the octave etc. You have to learn how to play cleanly to get the best out of them. Some people play an octave or two higher, or even use piccolo strings and tuning, in order to minimise the latency.

Even then, I would think it would only be useful for recording, where you can get around the latency. For live playing, the latency will be a killer.

The other option is not to use MIDI, but to go with the COSM modelling on the Roland GR55/VB99/VBass. These modify the sound of your bass directly to emulate other basses, instead of reading pitch and generating MIDI notes, so latency is not an issue. Might solve your problem if you're happy with the quality of the modelling.

Or put round wounds on your bass, then use palm muting or a foam mute to get the flat wound sound...

3. garya

garya Guest

Feb 10, 2014
    thank you for this very informative reply. I haven't checked in quite awhile on what is new in this area of midi conversion. I think you are right about the strings being my answer. I have heard good things also about the TI medium scale round wounds. My TI lats have been wonderful.

4. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    I love the TI flats too. Haven't tried the rounds.

If you've got an iPad or iPhone, the Jam Origin MIDI Guitar is probably the cheapest way to experiment. You can download it for free, although you'll have to pay $20 to MIDI it to another soft/hard synth. Just noticed they are bringing out a bass specific version soon, there's a beta test for Macs and PCs which I'm downloading as I write...

5. garya

garya Guest

Feb 10, 2014
    I have tried the Jam Origin Midi Bass trial before and I also just downloaded it again to see if it got any better. It still does not work to well for bass yet. It drops out a lot and doesn't have much range. I was wanting for a three piece band to have the bass kick in on something during the guitar player solos so it doesn't always sound like half the band has left the stage. :) The Roland setup looked like it was tracking real good, but it appears to be discontinued everywhere I searched for it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014