Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

realist and K+K trinity mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by cadillac, Jan 17, 2002.

1. cadillac

cadillac

Dec 18, 2001
    St. Louis
    I was just wondering if someone could tell me how the realist sounds when paired with the K+K mic. I currently have the Realist and was considering the trinity mic. Thanks in advance

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    FLEETWOOD,

It's a decent combination. What I like about the Trinity is that it can help add a bit of "beef" to the sound of the G string, which is always what the Realist is lacking in my experience. With the right blending device, it works well. I'm not a big Realist fan anymore, but when I used one I always prefered to blend its signal with something a bit more top heavy to even out the string balance.

3. cadillac

cadillac

Dec 18, 2001
    St. Louis
    thanks for the info, what do you currently use now. I am also finding that I don't like the realist as much as I used to, although mine has never shorted out. Do you still use the K+k?

4. cadillac

cadillac

Dec 18, 2001
    St. Louis
    .....also, how is the preamp that comes with upgrade system in regards to combining the mic and pickup. I am going to All-State next weekend and need something that can carry my sound over the band. Thanks

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Right now I'm using the Trinity mixed with a K&K Double Bass Max, and i've never been happier with my sound. The preamp is also great, and offers a lot of control for tone-shaping each element.

6. cadillac

cadillac

Dec 18, 2001
    St. Louis
    Thanks for your help Chris or DURRL, I'll check those out. I wish there was someway I could try then out. I am going to use my Fishman Blender now for target practice now, since no one will ever buy it from me.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Hi
    I've bought the Trinity upgrade system for my Realist and I also really like it. I agree with Chris about adding some heft to the G string. The Trinity also made some of the amps I was playing through (SWR Workingman's 12, Carvin 150) sound more "woody". It was definitely the mic that gave it that sound and until I got the Clarus I couldn't stand playing amplified without some of the Trinity in there.

8. I recently purchased a golden trinity mic upgrade, and while I've been very pleased with the excellent sound quality and performance of the mic, I've encountered a problem. I've been getting intermitant popping sounds coming from the amplifier only while I'm using the upgrade preamp + mic, but not when I'm only using my bass max. I have no problems with the pickup on its own. I'm thinking it might be something with the output jack on the stereo pickup, as it sometimes happens when I move the bass a bit with the system connected, but I'm not sure. Do you have any idea what this could be? I love the sound, but don't want to damage my speaker. Thanks in advance.

9. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I asked this question in another thread about pickup/mic combinations, but got no answer. What kind of mixing device are you using. Does anyone know if the Raven lab is worth the $300-400?:confused:

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The only popping noise I ever get with the system happens when I accidentally step on the stereo cable leading into the preamp, which causes it to come partially unplugged. I use a stool when playing, and have solved this problem by attaching my preamp to a leg of the stool where it can't move but is still readily accessible. As an experiment, you might try using a bit of (black) duct tape to secure the stereo patch cable to both ends of the connection (so that it can't come loose) and then move your bass around and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then try securing only one end at a time until you pinpoint the problem. Are you wearing the preamp as a belt mount?

Belated congrats on the IAJE competition, BTW.

ANTON,

I'm using the preamp blender that comes with the Trinity "upgrade" system. Last summer at the Aebersold camps Rufus was using the Raven Labs blender and singing its praises up and down the street whenever anyone asked him about it. Also, whenever the subject of this unit has come up online, I've heard nothing but positive comments.

11. Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right, the preamp connections aren't very secure, and since I've been placing the preamp in a more stable spot, the problem has stopped. I think a more expensive blender would be a nice option if I could afford it, only because it's a drag to change batteries.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I had the same reservation, even to the point where I emailed (All Hail) Bob to inquire about using a power supply (which is possible, but seems a bit of a pain in the @$$). But I've found that the new "Lithium" batteries really do last about twice as long, and as long as you always have a spare, there's not much to worry about. I always change the batteries before they really NEED to be changed anyway and use the "old" batteries for metronomes.

13. I've noticed the "popping" both with the original K & K amp, and also with the Raven Labs PMB - I think it's most probably static-electricity building up on the bass. I notice it especially at one of our rehearsal locations (carpeted, BTW - could be a nylon-mix). Also this seems to happen more so in the winter (dry atmosphere = more static). Just a few thoughts - FWIW) Perhaps I should get one of those humongous grounding-straps and "earth that sucker" :>

- Wil

14. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I used to use the Fishman Bass Blender with a Fishman pickup and Crown Condenser mic. I was happy with the sound until I got a PMB-1. It is built like a tank, very quiet, much more hifi and easy to use. I recently got a new bass, and changed to a Realist. I've tried the Golden Trinity with it through the Ravenlab Blender but wasn't crazy about the sound I got compared to the Realist directly into a GK MB150. I don't know whether it is because I haven't spent enough time or exploring or it is Golden Trinity that is a problem. The Ravenlab Blender is a fantastic piece of gear however, and is worth the the money in my mind.

Erik Hansen

15. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    So now you're using just the Realist through the PMB-1? Or no pre-amp at all? Sorry for asking, but I'm still trying to figure out if I should buy a Golden Trinity and/or the RavenLabs PMB-1. At the moment, I'm not really happy with just the Realist plugged into my Eden Traveller, either with or without a Sadowsky Outbard. Just not high fi & woody enough...

16. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Right now I am using the Realist alone into a GK 150 MB from my carved bass as my basic working setup. When I take my plywood Ephiphone out--with a Fishman Pickup/Crown Condenser mic combo--I go thru the PMB-1 into the effects return loop of the GK. I've found that the Realist is quite warm (dark?) and that it sounds best through the GK when you use the amp's preamp rather than the PMB-1. However, the key to your question in my mind is the reference to an Eden Traveler. I purchased an Eden WT-400 a year ago, along with two EA cabinets, to be my big rig, and I'm now trying to sell the Eden. If I only played bass guitar, I would be very happy with the Eden, but I've found that it is much too warm and "voiced for bass guitar" to be effective for string bass. It is simply not HiFi enough, and its warmth coupled with the Realist's warmth doesn't make it for me at all. Way too muddy and electric sounding. YMMV.