1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Realist Copper question:

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by inrharmony, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. inrharmony

inrharmony

Nov 22, 2015
    Hi....

Just installed a Realist pickup with the copper insert that goes between the bridge foot and the top. I'm wondering if I'm just paranoid, or if I'm noticing a slight loss of resonance on the E and A strings, due to the new material placed there. Anyone else notice that, or am I off my rocker? I like the pickup otherwise, but since I have a hybrid, I can't afford any loss of resonance.

Hoping it's just my misjudgment....

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well, I'm sure there is a little bit of reduction in sound. I noticed that my bass opened up slightly when I removed mine and started using the Ehrlund EAP.

Ric

3. inrharmony

inrharmony

Nov 22, 2015
    Ric,

Thanks for chiming in....I really couldn't get over the fact that my Shen 150 lost something when I installed the Realist...wouldn't be a problem except that I DO plan on playing in an orchestra fairly shortly...and I can't afford to give up ANY resonance whatsoever. Think I'll pass on this pickup and just pre-amp the HELL out of what I have already.

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have been using the copper realist for years on different basses. I have never noticed a significant drop off in the E or A. They sound really great on my current set up and the pick up is installed. Maybe give it another shot or have it professionally installed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    Yes. I noticed a difference.

6. the_Ryan

the_Ryan

Jul 10, 2015
    Ithaca/Seattle
    I haven't, but I know that some basses are more sensitive to things like that than others.

7. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    No audible issues for me and I have a realist installed on 2 uprights: a '96 Kessler and a '54 Kay C-1.

Lately I've been plugging into a Phil Jones Double Four (small, portable, quiet and perfect for bluegrass or use in small clubs).

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I would give any type of install of this nature some time for the bass to settle back in with the new changes. Sound differences may have been because you detensioned the bass just to have it installed or maybe that your bridge moved a little bit. Give it a few weeks and see if you still notice a loss.

There was a small difference when I installed mine but I can't tell anymore.