1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Realist phase difference enormous

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Povl Carstensen, Jul 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. So I got around to mounting the Realist Wood I have had in my drawer since december. I think it is promising, but I do not have any gigs untill august, to give a fuller report.
    One thing though: The difference in sound when I flicked the phase button of my preamp was enormous. One setting a rather thin, detached sound, and in the other, the more full, dynamic sound I was expecting from a Realist. What bothers/surprises me a bit, is that the setting that worked, was with the phase reversed, in comparison with for instance the acoustic mic I have been using before.

Ric Vice likes this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Povl,
    It’s been quite sometime since I played with a Realist on my bass. I seem to remember, that the phase switch on the Walter Woods did improve the sound of that pickup. As I recall, the phase reversed setting sounded better in the way you’re describing. So, for what it’s worth our experiences were similar. I’ve had similar results with the Phase switch on the Ehrlund Pre Amp.

Ric

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  3. What I think it tells me, is that the Realist is more clearly in or out of phase with the bass itself, than for instance an acoustic mic some 25 cm's over the top. Which I think is probably a good thing. And perhaps understandable, given where it picks up its signal.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Phase cancellation depends on having two sound sources hitting a receiver at different times.

In this case you have the acoustic sound coming from the instrument and the sound coming from your amp hitting your ears at different times.

The phase relationship between the two will be different depending on how far away the amp is from your ear. Assuming the bass is always the same distance from your body.

Which is a long way of saying that it may sound better in a different room/stage/etc to flip the switch the other way.

5. I usually have the amp (loudspeaker), pretty close. And my experience is that I get pretty consistent results; one position of the phase switch gives a more full, punchier sound, and the other gives a thinner, hollower sound.
    Another typical difference, is that in the "unphased" position, the (thinner) sound can more easily be heard as emanating from the speaker, whereas in the "in phase" position, it works better with the bass and can be heard more as coming from the bass, only louder. It should be said that I do not play in loud circumstances, where the amplified sound totally dominates the bass.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Nice explanation of something that I’m sure is quite technical. Now for me at least, the phase reverse switch is a way to control feedback, under challenging room conditions. I don’t usually think of using it as method for improving timbre. That said there is usually one position that does sound
    subjectively better to me, but it may not work to control feedback. Just my take however.

7. It is just really against my intuition to not go with the setting that gives the best sound. Then I'd rather use other methods to combat feedback, like firing the drummer.

eh_train likes this.
  8. Bill Johnson invented slap so that we might fire our drummers and keep their munneez. :p

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ha:D:roflmao: