1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Reality check - Fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by was3funk, Apr 7, 2009.

1. was3funk

was3funk

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
    Guess it comes down to this: I need a reality check.

Given the current state of the economy, would it be wise to spend say 6 to 8K on a Fodera? Sure, most of us realize that a Fodera is the Ferrari of the bass world. But would it make sense to buy now or wait this one out?

2. Ferrari of the bass world?
    Foderas are nice but for 6k - 8k I would MUCH rather have a Wal.. IMHO

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I don't really understand your question. If you have the money and really want one, do it. If you don't, don't do it:smug:

I guess I will say that, given the multiple year wait and massive price for the Fodera, and the many, many other basses that are equally high quality and a fraction of the cost and wait time, I would only buy a Fodera if you've played a few and absolutely fell in love with them. Otherwise, lot's of other stuff out there that is just as high quality (IME).

4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    If you have the cash, get the bass. What's the economy got to do it?:meh: I am sure Fodera would not mind you helping them out. So, get out there and stimulate that economy.;)

5. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    If you can spare the scrilla it's always a great time to buy a Fodera. There seems to be allot on the used market right now. You can save a grand or two in some cases. And no wait.

6. True dat. Not to bash Fodera, but I received a pretty impressive Stambaugh a couple weeks ago. The quality and sound was pretty close while the price was very far from Fodera.

7. was3funk

was3funk

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
    That's one of my points, there have been alot on the used market currently and exactly no wait, but it's hard to tell where it's going.

Not to be pessimistic, but the economy is not getting better for awhile at least, does that mean we'll see more showing up soon and for better prices?

8. was3funk

was3funk

Jul 3, 2006
    Colorado
    Would love to know what you think some of the basses that are equally high quality at a fraction of the cost? That may be exactly where I'd like to go.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You can't buy a Fodera for less than the cost of a Fodera. There are plenty of high quality basses that are less expensive than Fodera's that have the same level of quality, fit and finish that Fodera basses do. However, they will not be a Fodera so if you heart is set on a Fodera bass, you have to pay the price of admission. On the other hand, if you just want a high quality bass and don't care about the brand, there are plenty of options out there depending on the style of bass you are after.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The list is so long as to be hard to talk about. Ken Smith, MTD, Sadowsky, Alleva Coppolo, Stambaugh, Skjold, etc., etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong, I played a Fodera Emperor Elite for a number of years. They are great basses, and just like MTD's sound like MTD's and Sadowsky's sound like Sadowsky's, and Smith's sound like Smith's, there is a general 'Fodera tone' that is unique to those instruments. So, if you really want that general tone, then it makes total sense to save your pennies and get one.

However, your comment about the 'Ferrari of bass' is, IMO, based on hype and not reality. Once you get up to the level of the basses mentioned above, it's better to talk about differences than 'better or worse' IMO. Fodera's are in great demand due to a wide variety of reasons, and the supply is low since they are a very small shop and, again quite frankly, not the most organized group of guys. This, IMO again, has more to do with the massive price than anything else.

Again, not doggin' them... GREAT basses. But in my experience, not any better than many of the other high end boutiques.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

We were basically typing the same thing at the same time:D

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yep - except I am not poking at a pit bull by saying the following:

Now, where did I put that popcorn! :D

13. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Have you checked out Cliff Bordwell's basses?

www.cbbasses.com

14. Cliff's work is also very impressive, especially for the price. I'm not sure if Cliff has had too much experience with trying to cop the Fodera vibe, but I think he'd do alright. Like Stambaugh, his prices are very reasonable and the quality is really high up there!

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1, that was a huge dose of common sense, Mark.:) Scratch out "Fodera" and insert any other name, and that post should be a permanent FAQ for this forum because it applies to any bass.

16. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    +1000

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It's your money and you're the only one who truly knows your financial situation. There are those that would say it's never wise to spend that much on a bass, there are those who disagree. If you feel that Foderas are the Ferrari of the bass world and you want a Ferrari, you'll haved to buy a Ferrari to get a Ferrari. There's only one Ferrari.

If OTOH you want a Fiero with a body kit (a Fodera looking bass), you have other options. If you want a bass with a similar vibe (I'm in the camp that thinks that Fodera isn't locked into a single identifiable vibe), a few more options pop up. If you simply want a high end bass, you have many more options.

To state what you already know... it's up to you:smug:. It's your money, you get to decide whether it's being well-spent or not.
    :cool:

18. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As others have said above, you'll only get a Fodera by buying a Fodera, and those basses will always be expensive. Relative worth is subjective .... if you think they're the top dog, then you're going to have to pay top dog prices.

Your other question seems to be whether the current economic conditions will cause the pricing to drop if things get worse over the next year or so. The answer is .... probably not. People who can afford to get a Fodera today are the same people who could afford it last year and will also be able to afford it next year. Doesn't mean that they're rich, just that they want a Fodera and will find a way to pay for it. Certain brands are just that way .... ;)

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Brad

Out of interest, what basses would you say have a Fodera vibe (not looks wise so much, but sound wise). I was trying to think of some examples myself but couldn't come up with anything obvious. Other than perhaps R-Bass, are there any other manufacturers out there who have deliberately gone for a Fodera'esque bass (in the same way that Browne, Hitlon, CB etc have gone for a Carl Thompson vibe for example).

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Anyone ever have any experiences with Sei basses? I heard one before and was quite impressed, but their(or what I at least believe is) website says nothing about what options a buyer has or what is a common estimate for their basses.