Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reality check?? (SWR/Hartke compatibility)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by romiso, May 3, 2001.

1. Hey all,

Last night, a salesman told me that there was a compatibility issue with SWR heads and Hartke cabs, a combination I told him I was considering (SWR WM 2004/Hartke 2x10 XL).

He didn't go into big detail, but said the 'Aural Enhancer' feature on the SWR was the culprit.

Of course, the store carried SWR and not Hartke (surprise, surprise :rolleyes: ), although the salesman said that he honestly liked Hartke's stuff and that a Hartke head with an SWR cab would be just fine.

Is anyone playing SWR heads through Hartke cabs? Any incidents/explosions/catastrophes I should know about?

Thanks!

2. Yea, and I've got some beach-front property in Arkansas if your interested.

The price is right.
    Limited time only.
    Better act now.

Seriously, I think he was jerkin' yer chain.

I used an SM400 with a Hartke 410 without any problem.
    As long as the cab can handle the output I believe you will be fine.

C4

3. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    i use the opposite i use a Hartke 7000 through a Swr workingmans 4x10 shes great!!!

4. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I used a 350 thru 2x10 trans worked fine, I even rented 4x10 xl's for big gigs. No issues.

5. jbass27

jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    There is no reason at all that you can't use any head with any cab. 2 exceptions that I will make
    1) impedance. DO NOT go below the minimum rated impedance of the head. This will eventually cause serious damage to your amp.
    2) power handling. If you buy a head that is either seriously over or under powering your cab you are asking for trouble. Overpowering is more obvious, play too loud and the cab gets blown up. Underpowering is a bit stranger to understand, and its less of an issue for some cabs than others. Euphonic Audio cabs are a very good example in this case. EA cabs are as far as I can tell not that efficient, but sound great. A VL-210 cab is rated at 500 watts RMS, so most people would figure an Eden WT-300 would do fine, 300 watts into a 4ohm load. Unfortunately, you will find out that the head isn't as loud through that cab as you would expect, so you turn up louder. Eventually you will run out of headroon, your amp will start to clip, and then you can blow speakers. I actually had very good luck running that cab with an SWR Bass 750. I found that as long as I could keep a good clean signal coming from the power amp of the head I was fine, start overdriving that, and all hell breaks loose. Most average 4x10's etc are more forgiving that the EA cabs are, so that is less of a problem most of the time.
    The main thing is if you like the sound of a particular piece of gear by all means buy it, love it and play it. If somebody tells you something like that walk away.

F