Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reality check:Thinking of selling my EA VL-210B for an Epifani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm seriously thinking about trading or selling my EA VL-210B for an Epifani T-310.

I've only had the VL-210 for a couple of weeks but it just isn't my tone. Maybe I haven't given it a fair chance. I had just gotten a Bergantino HT112 two weeks before that and the little cabinet has literally blown me away.

My immediate plan is to consign one of my Bag End D10X-D's at Bass Northwest which should get me close to the selling price of a new Bergantino EX112 to run with my HT112. I'm really digging the 12" sound. They just work for me. But I do love the punch of 10" speakers. Then look into making the deal on the Epifani.

The Epifani T-310 is almost the same size and weight of the EA VL-210 and the power handling is rated higher on the Epi cab.

I'm just feeling that the EA cab is too clean sounding for my style of playing. Brad Johnson said in a prior post that he thinks that some of the folks that haven't been happy with the EA cabinets haven't been EQ'ing them properly. But I've been running the cab with the Alembic F-1X flat as well as the basses. The VL210 seems to reproduce string noise much more than any cabinet I've played through. Which drives me nuts.

Should I just try and hang with the VL-210 a bit longer or do my issue have warrent? I know it's my ears and my tone so nobody can really make the final decision but me. I'm just looking for a bit of discussion.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a VL210 and it's a great cab......but I like my Bergies better! I do use the EA along with a Bergie 1/12 for smaller gigs, you might want to try your Bergie ontop just for grins;)

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Jerry, (great name by the way) I'll give the Bergie/EA combo a try. That would give my Fafner a 4 ohm load which would make it happy.

I do really like the Bergantino's about the best of any cabinets I've heard and I'd go for an older 3x10 but they are so much bigger than the Epifani. I'm sure that the HT322 is the ultimate but again it's just too big. I'd take out my Aguilar GS410, which I dearly love, if I were doing a outdoor thing. The Bergie HT210 is 8 ohms which just doesn't cut it with my Fafner. I could use my Eden WT-800 but that is out on extended loan.

I'll have the HT112 and the option of the EX112 for any small stuff like jams.

I'm just kinda in a quandry about the VL210 because it still is a very nice cabinet. Maybe too nice for my hack style of playing.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Believe me.......I'm way more of a hack:)

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

I use this combo and believe me it will do alot more than the small stuff

AJ;)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nothing to add to this post,

but i'm dying to try out an ultralite version of the Epifani 3x10. its supposed to weigh as much as my ol' Acme 2x10!

7. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey Jerry - I picked up a VL210 a while back and had the EXACT same reaction, only kept it for a couple weeks until I posted it for sale. Just too clean, too accurate, too HIGH and LOW for me.

To me, the Bergs are amazing sounding, but still a little smooth and nice.

Why don't you try Joker's Demeter 310 he has for sale? Smallest 310 out there, but he says it has a nice thick clean clear growly tone... might be just your bag...

8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yeah! Ultra light...54 pounds soaking wet...Man, wouldn't that be nice.

Yes, Todd, I should look at the specs on Joker's Demeter. Didn't BP mag do a review several months back?

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Brad, always the voice of thought provoking reason.

I run the Alembic at 2-10-2 respectively so I certainly shouldn't be adding anything more than the amp would put out. I've never found that EA any more sizzly than any of my other cabinets although I do notice more apparent high frequencies. Of course this may mean nothing as soon as the drummer hit the ride cymble.

I will be the first one to point out that my technique sucks. I pointed out, above, that I am a hack. I've got alot of woodshedding to do to ever get to where I wouldn't feel embarrassed playing through a rig that points out my weakness like a neon sign.

One really has to look at what kind of music I play. I've played blues for awhile and have always been snooty about that being the only music that I'd play. Most all of my heros have/do play old Fender basses through old cabinets with a great amount of coloration. It's only the past few years that I've changed toward wanting to play the kind of stuff that I hear from MM, Vic Wooton, Alain Caron, Oteil...This was pretty much stirred up by getting an F Bass and then the Imperial 6. Now I'm tending toward a more modern tone and leaning in the direction of Marcus and Victor, etc. But sonically I'm not certain that I'm up to hearing the more apparent highs. And Brad, I didn't find your comments condesending. I knew where you were coming from and I respect and appreciate that.

I'm going to hang with the EA for awhile and maybe it will serve to make me a better player. At least a more frustrated one, for certain. I'm pretty certain that it work for me on a gig but this cabinet does give me another option.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's nothing wrong with coloration. My favorite Blues rig is my Ampeg B-100R.:)

Trust me, I'm not all that. I've figured out a couple of things that work and the rest is a mystery I'm still trying to solve. That's the part that really keeps me going, the fact that there's never an end to the learning process.

:bassist:

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's the beauty of the bass. And new equipment which may lead you in different directions just as the F Bass did for me. Maybe I should look at the VL210 as a cab that will open new options and lead to better skills.;)

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Van-man for the little promo!

yup, my Dem's up for sale. wish i had a good reason to keep it tho. :(

but, if you like a clear topped bell like sound with a warm, slightly aggressive low end feel to your punchie 10" sound, this is the cab to get. like crossing the slightly aggressive (but not nearly Eden aggressive) low end of an Aguilar and with the high end detail of an Epifani 10" loaded cab. no joke.

btw, the reason why the other tweeters sound soo "harsh" to me is cause i've been spoiled by the seemless tweeter from my Demeter cab.

and yes, it weighs just as much as a run of the mill 2x10.

(runs from the flaming arrows.....) :eek:

ok, ok, sorry for the commercial break! now back your regularly scheduled post! :p