Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xXMunchXx, Feb 4, 2005.

1. xXMunchXx

Jan 16, 2005
    has anyone played a large amount of hard/fast riffs and right then, right there u realize, u have bad technique.... and thats the reason the riffs are so hard.... ive wasted 2 years doing this and i am just now realizing.
    :scowl: :( :oops: :bawl: :spit: :mad:

but one thing is good im trying to fix it but i really dont know whats the best technique to learn.

Btw i play alot of fleas stuff ive been using 1-2 fingers on my left hand never 3 and damn i couldve been so better....
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Play slowly and be aware of your hands. Sage advice I've heard repeated over and over. You can't run until you can walk, and you can't execute cleanly at high tempos what you can't at low ones.

The rewarding part of this equation is that if you CAN nail a piece at a slower tempo, it is much easier to work that tempo up to faster speeds. Playing music at a pace that's faster than your practiced fingers can cope with will generally not yield quality results as fast as just playing slowly and with proper mechanics, adding speed slowly.
  3. I haven't recorded individual tracks in about 3 years. However, I've been playing live regularly during that time. We went into a studio to cut some live demos the other day. I was shocked at how much percussive noise and distortion I was creating. It's difficult to hear in the mix, but I realized how sloppy I've become by just playing live.

I really need to concentrate more on playing cleaner. I should probably run a DI out to a recorder during practices occasionally to check myself.