1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really Bad SoCal Wildfires are now burning.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I have lived in SoCal all my life and have never seen anything like this. It is December, normally not fire season, and many homes are burning. The winds are gusting to over 70mph and all fire fighting aircraft are grounded. In the last 15 hours over 50,000 acres have burned. Took these photos from my home a few minutes ago.
    IMG_0572.JPG
    Head of Fire. You can see the Hollywood sign on far right.
    IMG_0571.JPG
    The smoke is being blown out over the ocean and there is almost zero visibility at sea level on the north Santa Monica Bay.
    IMG_0576.JPG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Bob Lee (QSC) and Tom Lane like this.
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This is crazy. It's DECEMBER! Rains have started.
    My wife used to work at Vista Del Mar in Ventura, which has been described as "engulfed by flames".
    Santa Ana winds. Damn.

3. Stewie26

They just said that hundreds of home have been destroyed in Ventura. The expect more 70MPH winds tomorrow night.

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Man Cali can't catch a break from the fires this year. I wish you folks the best.

5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Jeez man..... Blessings for the best possible outcome. That truly looks horrific. Pains me to think of the families being displaced and losing their livelihoods. Man, I am sorry.

Bob Lee (QSC) and Stewie26 like this.
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.

Stewie26 likes this.
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Hope things turn in favor of mankind soon out there.

Stewie26 likes this.
  8. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Born and raised in SoCal. Absolutely hated the Santa Ana winds every year. Devil wind. Fences knocked down, shingles ripped off the roof.

Not to make light of it but... Lots of pop culture references...

Santa Ana winds in popular culture - Wikipedia

Tbone76, 10cc and Stewie26 like this.
  9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    That's no good. Be safe Stewie and all of you guys in that area....

Stewie26 likes this.
  10. A newscaster on the radio said that the fire is spreading at a rate of one acre per second. I don't know how accurate his statistic was, but it's a frightening thought.

shadowtippy likes this.
  11. Stewie26

NASA photo showing wildfire's smoke over the ocean. The smokes goes out hundreds of miles. Photo taken today at 2:00 PT
    SoCalFiresSatPhoto-1200x885.

12. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    With the number of the fires and the time of year, I fear that we will find that some were intentionally set.

13. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Novato, CA
    We had our share in Northern California a couple of months ago. But in December? I agree with @kesslari - too many fires this year to be naturally started. This is horrible!

14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I feel for California. It's not at all far fetched to think it could happen just about anywhere there's enough woods, what with the crazy droughts and monsoons we have been getting lately. I don't know what there is to do about it except hope for the best and look after those who suffered from the fires.

15. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

16. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Didn't LA get a bunch of rain last month or did I screw that up? At least the fires around here came almost entirely before the rain, so I can wrap my head around that. But massive fires in December? And it's not like they have a ton of extra water to dump on the ground either. Yikes. Hope everyone down south stays safe and doesn't lose anything they can't replace.

Stewie26 likes this.
  17. I’ve lived in LA 4 years, I can only remember A decent amount of rain during A 2-3 day period like March 2014 and then A 2 week period in February 2017. Really besides that I don’t remember any rain besides A few sprinkles here and there. I’m from Oregon so maybe I don’t realize it but besides those 2 times in 4 years it seems like it’s never raining here.

pjbassist and TOOL460002 like this.
  18. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    I moved back north in 2006, so I don't know either way what your experience was, but the years I did live in Orange County we got a ton of rain, especially the year USC played Texas in the championship game. Whatever year that was it rained a lot. Not Oregon rain, but you would've noticed it. Definitely has been dryer the last decade since I left.

19. Ive asked people who lived here their entire life why it never rains and they then ask when I moved here and they go on to explain the last 5-6 years havent been normal at all. I drive back and forth from LA to Portland Oregon twice a year on I-5 and you can see many lakes and rivers with massive recession lines in the banks, docks totally in the dirt. I think people were hopeful when it rained 2 weeks nearly straight in February but that didnt do much after a 5 year or so drought.

Bob Lee (QSC) and TOOL460002 like this.
  20. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    80 MPH winds forecast for today. This is not good.