really bad wrist pain

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Sep 5, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    man, i am getting really downed, i havent been able to play my bass in a week:( i feel less creative, no drive in school, its jsut all bad. but the cause of all these problems, bad wrist pain on my left (fretting) hand.

I know that i am holding and playing the bass right, but it just really hurts whenever and however i play, standing up or sitting down.

i have fairly big hands, and getting around on the bass was at most a moderate strain in the beginning. now when ever i put my fingers on the fret board and start moving them, it sends shooting pains into my wrist, and this even happens when i grasp something with my hand. i have tried time to heal this problem, but its not helping. i am not doing anything else that would hurt my wrist that way. i play water polo, but that is very low impact, and i dont even use my left hand!!

could it be tendinitis, or even the dredded carpal tunnel syndrome:eek: :(

well, thank you,
  2. I think you should go see a doctor. Your wrists are extremely important for many activities including playing bass. If it hurts, don't force yourself to play or do anything that makes it hurt because this could complicate things. I have a ganglion cyst in my left wrist. The only way I can completely get rid of it once and for all is surgery. It sucks, but I can live with it because it doesn't hurt too much. Also, a two doctors have told me that the cyst poses no real danger. It's definitely a nuisance for me, and one day I hope to get rid of it. But at least I found out what it was from a doctor and I'm more educated about it, so I have some peace of mind. Like I said, I think you should have a doctor take a look at it. The doctor will probably take an X-ray, and s/he will be able to diagnose what it is and offer you all the different options. Hopefully, you should feel a little relief at least knowing what the problem is. Good luck, and hope it's nothing serious.
  3. I second what has already been said. SEE A DOCTOR!...sometimes things heal on their own, but from what you say, this has been around for some time in varying levels. Get it checked out. It there is something wrong, the sooner you catch it, the better.

Goodluck, I hope things work out for you, and the wrist feels better.

4. Try some stretches. Like

Rolling the wrist slowly around in its joint.

Stretching it forward as in try to touch your middle finger to your wrist.

Stretch it back too. Massage around the wrist joint.

When you rotate it does the pain go away if you hold the wrist etc.

Still there.. see a doctor. ;)

5. do some stretching exersices and GO SEE A DOC!!!

I haven't played like I'm used too for more than a week now cause I dislocated my thumb..

Maybe they can tell what your problem is with the help of some radiographies..