really big fretboards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by benhardisme, Dec 28, 2003.

1. benhardisme

Mar 13, 2003
    i plan to make a 7 stringer with about 18mm string spacing at the bridge and 30 frets, but this will be my first and im not especially familiar with the process involved in obtaining materials. wheres a good site that has ebony lumber for fretboards that are about 4.5" wide and at least 30" long? thanks!
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Maybe LMI will have them. Very few companies that cater to the luthiery industry carry fretboards that wide because very few people need them. I doubt you'll find anything that wide quartersawn.

I don't know who I would go to if I suddenly needed one that wide in ebony and I was out. I'd probably start with a search on and start sending out emails to see who had what.
  3. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    What about joining boards to make a wider blank? If I were the adventurous type and had some spare wood lying around I'd give it a go. I might run a decorative strip down the middle, a common trick to "hide" edge joints. If I were totally nuts, which is a distinct possibility, I would consider shaping the center strip to simulate an inlay pattern, or somehow marking the commonly marked frets, say, a bowtie pattern created with a dovetail bit. I'd do the joinery first, then thickness it, to give me more wood to work with when joining. Hmm. Daddy needs an Incra jig.

<wait, back to reality> Anyone ever try edge joining a wide fingerboard?
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    The first place I'd check to see if you could get ahold of a piece of wood that big is Larry @ I'm pretty sure that they do custom sizing IIRC. Plus, he's a member of this site. :) My dad is placing the order for my final wood purchase of the project soon/waiting on a call back-Stabilized Black Limba for the FB :D That's all