1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really cheap strings vs good strings; is there a volume difference?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by keyboardguy, Nov 2, 2018.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I acquired a very cheap new bass that obviously has cheap strings on it.

In your experiences, will a good set of strings affect volume? I'm sure the tone would be much better, but will volume increase a lot? a little?

Thanks,

Mike

2. That's like asking us how long is a piece of string that we can't see or measure.
    It depends entirely on the materials the old strings & new strings are made from.

If you want increased volume get GHS Progressives, but I'll warn you now the E & B strings have exposed cores at the ball-end.

3. The overall output from a set of strings has more to do with the materials used (SS vs. NPS vs. PN, etc...) than the quality. More expensive strings don't necessarily have higher output.

4. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Thanks for the input folks.

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    No volume different between Fender 7250 (cheap) vs Ti (expensive). But the labella 750C are about 10-15% less volume than nickel round and Flatwound string.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any time I've changed from the cheapo shop strings to the regular set I was using at the time, I got a volume boost.

CentralCoastBass likes this.
  7. Not actually. It depends mostly on the materials.
    Pure nickel strings tend to be very expensive with lower output since nickel is less magnetic than a mix of nickel and iron...

michael_t likes this.
  8. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005