Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

really cool custom warwick on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Aug 2, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=896163467

check out this thing! it's like an ss2, but with an ash body and maple/wenge neck with MAPLE board. used to be owned by alphonso johnson.

i really wonder what this bass would sound like. probably not like a "true" warwick, but maybe more like some other high end builders that build basses out of similar materials. (fodera for example)

if i had the cake, i'd buy it just to see what it sounded like!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(btw, i'm not affiliated with this auction at all...i'm just really curious about this bass)

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It looks like a Jimmy Earl edition Streamer Stage 2 in natural.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well aren't you ms. smarty panties. :p

4. I thought so too, at first, but didn't the Jimmy Earl model have the same kind of neck as the regular SS II, i e one made predominantely out of wenge? The neck on this bass looks more like the neck of an early nineties SS I to me.
    BTW, I remember seeing someone whoose name I can't seem to recall, pictured in Bass Player all these years ago who had a regular (maple bodied) SS I with a maple fingerboard. As if the standard SS I wasn't bright enough...
    Sure looked cool, just like the Ebay one, though. What is the seller asking for it BTW?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Andrew Levy form BNH is pictured in BP with one.

6. Isn't that a Jimmy Earle signature, or at least a SS II, with an ugly paintjob? The one I'm thinking about was a regular, natural, SS I, but with a maple fingerboard. Also, the guy who played it was American, but lived and worked in Germany. Still can't remember his name, maybe 'cause I never heard of him anywhere else.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well it's at 1200 now with the reserve met.

a good price i'd say.

8. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    The seller and current high bidder both have 0 feedback and glasses. I wonder which ones' gonna get ripped off? I hope it's both... poetic justice.

9. Mindwolf

Mindwolf

Jan 12, 2001
    Hey, everyone has to start somewhere, right? I bought a microphone with 0 and glasses. Now I have a big 2 and no glasses. No ripping off involved.

10. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Just kidding around
    I know you gotta start somewhere, so everyone starts off buying with 0 and sunglasses, but I wouldn't bother selling anything until I had at least bought a couple of things first... maybe just some cheap trinkets to build feedback, or whatever.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    eh - If I was going to get an SSII I'd get a "real" one! :)

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i already have a REAL one so this one would be something cool and different!

i've gotta get a 4 string and a fretless 6 first tho...so theres no way i could have pulled the trigger on this one. i wonder how much it would be to replicate new?