1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Really "deep" EQed 4 or should I get a 5?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Feb 27, 2006.

1. "deep" EQed EADG/half step down

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Really down-tuned (ex.: C or B for lo note)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    BTW: This thread is about the metal genre ONLY (in all forms)

Been listening to some more albums of mine (god knows I have a lot!!!), some of which are in standard (EADG/down a half), and some that are really low tuned (C or B). I've also had the pleasure of getting a Para Driver and being able to add more low mids into my bass' natural mid-to-hi-mid preference (it's tuned EADG for now). The one thing I've noticed is that I'm tending to like the "deep" EQ that I've got, and have been hearing on a lot of the standard tuned songs, over the ones with lower tuning (up until end of last month, bass was tuned BEAD).

I was wondering what preference some of you have when it comes to metal tunings. Do you think a really deep EQ in standard/half step tuning or downtuned is better for metal.

2. I think it kind of depends on what the speakers can reproduce clearly, both in the amp and in your listening equipment. As long as it has enough clarity and oomph, I don't care what the exact notes are. I do like low notes in general though.