Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Really "deep" EQed 4 or should I get a 5?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Feb 27, 2006.

1. "deep" EQed EADG/half step down

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Really down-tuned (ex.: C or B for lo note)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    BTW: This thread is about the metal genre ONLY (in all forms)

Been listening to some more albums of mine (god knows I have a lot!!!), some of which are in standard (EADG/down a half), and some that are really low tuned (C or B). I've also had the pleasure of getting a Para Driver and being able to add more low mids into my bass' natural mid-to-hi-mid preference (it's tuned EADG for now). The one thing I've noticed is that I'm tending to like the "deep" EQ that I've got, and have been hearing on a lot of the standard tuned songs, over the ones with lower tuning (up until end of last month, bass was tuned BEAD).

I was wondering what preference some of you have when it comes to metal tunings. Do you think a really deep EQ in standard/half step tuning or downtuned is better for metal.

2. I think it kind of depends on what the speakers can reproduce clearly, both in the amp and in your listening equipment. As long as it has enough clarity and oomph, I don't care what the exact notes are. I do like low notes in general though.