1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really dig your soloing....

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by cire113, May 25, 2011.

1. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    Anthony, I really dig your soloing, your amazing man.. Honestly ive told you this before but i never ever saw your solo minus a few awesome videos that popped up on youtube...

I would love to copy and learn from your licks but i would rather go to the source... so besides Vic(which i know has to be a huge influence in your soloing) who else do you reccomend that i check out?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yo Cire,

I'm influenced WAY too much by Jimmy Haslip soloing. Sometimes when I hear a solo by him I hear myself but i know that I got the vibe from him.

I also learn a lot of vocal parts. I want my soloing to be very melodic and vocals lines are usually melodic. I learned a lot of nursery rhymes and Christmas carols. The 'tension and resolution' that i think is necessary to understand as a soloist is built into nursery rhymes and Christmas carols. Most bass players just use 'block' pentatonic shapes. They are great but they can start to sound predictable. So you have to blend them with linear lines(modes) and arpeggios.

peace,
    anthony

"Smells Like Funk"

3. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    ahhh thanks Anthony :) that makes perfect sense... Most of the notes to land on when I solo are pentatonic but I try to use those other things you mentioned for sure,

Dude I'm definitely going to check out Jimmy Haslip!!! Thanks

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    After you hear Jimmy silo you wint like my playing anymore!

-aw

5. cire113

cire113

Apr 25, 2008
    ^^ haha nah man... I listened to haslilp a bit already,,, I hear his influence for sure but man you have your own unique sound thats awesome..

Maybe try turning your bass upside down LOL

On a side note,, How do you think victor would answer this question? You guys are like BFF throw me a bone :)... I know he would say stanley clarke for sure? but i wonder who else are his big solo influences...

6. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Definitely Stanley. I don't really hear anyone else. I hear his brother Regi in his playing. But mostly Stanley.

-aw