1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really Digging On The Reggie Hamilton ---

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Nov 25, 2010.

1. I like the looks of it a bunch - [​IMG]

............but has anyone ever actually NEEDED that drop-E/D thing or is it just a gimmick?

I won't ever play heavy metal - so that's not what I like it for. I'm just in serious love with the P/J sounds.

I imagine that drop-tuning machine could be removed - but are the installation holes different from a standard tuning machine? Of course, I'd keep the Hipshot Xtender if I even thought it would be necessary. (Not likely)

Do those extenders really work and stay in tune though? And how about when you 'un-extend' that string - does it go right back to good tuning or is it messed up and needs a retune?

Moving the string up and down like that must grind on the top nut pretty bad - huh?

OK - yeah - the custom shop version is pretty nice - but 'way outta sight for money!

2. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    The drop key coud come in handy for a variety of things that aren't metal. I was checking these out but didn't like the fact that it seems theres no tone control in passive mode, from what I've read about it anyway.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have them on all four basses. I have never had a problem with them causing the string to go out of tune. Go to D then back to E without issue. The trick is to follow the tuning instructions as laid out by Hipshot.

As far as practicality, I use it for rock, P&W and everything in between. I use both flats and rounds and the Xtender works well with either string type. I use TI Jazz flats and DR Hi-Beams, both of which are lower tension strings and still no issues. I haven't seen a problem with the nut either.

Like you said, if you don't like it you can remove it.

4. Can be removed and no extra holes are there a place online sells tuners by 1, so you dont have to get a set of 4 and there the correct matching ones so you could replac eit like it never existed.

A drop D tuner is not just for metal , if so why would reggie have it?

Also it moving up and down on the nut is not going to creat much more wear then tuining your bass up, I have a drop D tuner on a tbird, will i ever use it? yes but not that often since its there I will leave it but i perfer basses without them.

BTW reggies are slick, but gotta get a burst one!

5. If you have to ask if you NEED a D-tuner, then you probably don't need it...

They've been around for decades and I've never heard of anyone having to replace their nut, ever. The string only moves about 2 outer wraps, so it's not much. Consider those wraps are round and the surface area is minimal. As far as staying in tune, as long as you set it up and tune correctly (there is a method), it has no problem staying in tune in either position.

Personally, when I'm playing 4 string, I rarely use my D-tuner, but I play a 5 string *most* of the time and I do use that B string all the way down to B and C quite regularly (though sparingly). I know a lot of guys who won't live without the Hipshot Extenders on all their 4 strings. So yes, it is useful to lots of people. However, just cause it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. It adds negligible weight, so that's not a concern (unless a couple ounces mean something to you).

If you like it, go for it! Don't let the Hipshot keep you from it.

6. If you don't plan on using it, it will behave like a normal tuner.

As to how they work, they're ok for quick tuning changes, but not always the most accurate after a lot of toggling. I find that a pitched back headstock can make the detuning sound better, but the detuner is less accurate. Non-angled headstocks are more reliable, but I'm not a fan of the detuned sound.

7. Thanks, all.

I was hoping to not get any flack about taking it off and ruining the resale value! Are those same '70s Open Gear machines available?

The reason I said anything about not for metal is that is one of the 'strong points' on the ad from GC's site, that's all.

I can prolly live with the drop tuner - and since GC says they'll have this model in their stores by about Dec 15th or so, it should be an interesting bass to test.

At least it doesn't have a skull or crossbones on it anywhere.

The only other bass that gets me excited at the moment is the Tony Franklin Fretted Precision, but it has a knife switch for the p'ups which I feel might be too limiting for blends.

[​IMG].

GC has no listing for this though - just the fretless version.

So far (since I got the VM-Jaguar) like I say, I really like that P/J configuration and one of these might satisfy the current drooling for me.

8. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I`ll gladly trade you a tuner of your choice for the d-tuner !

9. We can work sumpthin' out I bet.

Let me get my hands on one and try it out a while and maybe I'll need the standard machine.

I'm gonna be in the GC Murrietta tomorrow for a while - even though I don't expect to find one of those P/Js there - but I'm going for the adult E-ticket appeal anyway.

It might only be a good harmonica buying day.

10. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    The Tony Franklin had the finest tone out of almost any instrument I've ever played. I dunno what they use for that bridge pup, but it is sweet.

11. Did you think that the knife switch was limited though? Remember that I've got two V/T stacked pots on the VM-Jag and I love the way I can blend them with no loss of volume or tone in any position.

It kinda reminds me of my Fender Strat - and for a bass I'd maybe want more control than detented positions, ya know?

Hmmmmmmm. Is there such a thing as a knife-pot?

Let me know what you think - this could be a deal buster if it sounds too structured and not as flexible as I think it needs to be.

12. GC looked like a few tour buses had dropped off their passengers for a rest stop and they all wanted to try guitars, drums, keyboards and does anyone know what the word "Bedlam" means?

Bedlam was the old psychiatric hospital in New York - and the name stuck.

Well GC was like that today.

This has always caught my eye - and although it's NOT a P/J - it was sure causing GAS in a big way.

Anyway - I played this:::

100_7320.

Marcus%20Miller%20Jazz.

Gaads! It's beautiful - but a total dud. It just didn't talk to me, nor did it even say 'Hi" at all. It played OK - but just barely - and it had a pretty good setup on it, as I couldn't see anything wrong with the height or action.

It was just 'dead' in my hands.

Now THIS:::
    Reggie%20Hamilton%20Black_Rosewood.

.......will prolly be a totally different story - I hope anyway!

I haven't touched one yet and the wait is creating great big GAS bubbles in my heart.

Since I already own all those marked with the "X" on them -

100_7323.

.......... I am still looking for that ONE P/J bass to eliminate my desires for once and for all.

But the Markus Miller is a big ZERO to me now. It's kinda nice to eliminate them, one by one though.

13. The Reggie is a great bass. I got mine within the first months it was release and I had some problem with the neck, in fact I still do.

I finally put a Squire CV P neck on it, badass bridge and it is a dream for me. Its one of best instruments I own and could be taken on any gig. Also, the 18volt active system is so quite when activated and I have never had a problem with no tone knob control in passive. But, I don't use the tone knob on any of basses anyway.