1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really dreading tonights gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dvs20, Dec 8, 2018.

1. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    it's going to be a dumpster fire, drummer can't keep time, were all not on the same page material wise, I cant wait to quit

Mr_Moo, TerenceE, MrLenny1 and 13 others like this.
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Why do the gig at all? $$?

3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Do a bass solo for kicks ... what have you got to lose ;)

4. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    It is a paying gig, I figured it would be rough for a little bit, but these guys practice every week and have done so for 8 months, I show up once a month anymore because I can only handle so much. just seems like we're spinning tires in the mud. I'm doing this gig because the other 3 guys are super nice and I like them as people, but musically we're not in the same chapter. I like (most) the songs, we just excecute very poorly.

5. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    LOL, I'm not that good, but I do take liberties when were playing to do what i want as long as it fits the music tastefully.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sounds like it's time for some honesty, including from and to you. If they still can't get it together and you are only showing up monthly, you shouldn't be involved at all.

7. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    True, I know the material, I offer advice on how to play stuff so we can all get on the same page, but it falls on deaf ears.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but when half the rhythm section only shows up for a fourth of the rehearsals, I'm not sure how things could ever get better. It's hard to develop the pocket that way.

9. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    . Doesn't matter if YOU know the stuff. If people aren't willing to learn their parts prior to rehearsal, they have no business being in a band.

10. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Just get through the gig, that's the name of the game.

11. So quit already.

You're on a public forum trashing your bandmates - you can't wait to quit. They rehearse weekly while you only roll in monthly to offer your advice on how they could improve. I'm sure your attitude shows through at rehearsal and on the gigs.

Never mind quitting, just wait a little while and maybe they'll fire you! I would guess their rehearsals haven't been totally unproductive.

12. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    I get what your saying, but I’ve played “Seminole Wind” in an open mic setting with complete strangers with more success

13. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    Your right, I worded the o.g. post poorly. I dont offer advice on how "they" can improve, I'm in no position to do so. I offer advice on how "we" could improve so we have more cohesiveness, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. like I said, it's a cool group of guys to hang out with. I just find the lack of traction frustrating.

Pbassmanca and Rayjay like this.
  14. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Bummer. Try to make the best of it.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. And I get that, too. Trust me, I understand. But you've got guys that at least are willing to rehearse, y'all must be good enough to get a gig, and you like them as people. To me, after playing with all sorts of players over the last 35 years or so, the latter makes up for some musical shortcomings.

Mr_Moo, Bass Man Dan, Mike.C. and 3 others like this.
  16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut

Either join the band and be there every rehearsal is it's "we", or get out.

17. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Maybe set a personal goal to get there every week for a month and see if things improve. Being in the mix musically and socially will help to some degree. If it still isn’t working after that then, you know you tried and can move on peacefully. Hopefully, it’ll tighten up the whole situation.
    Dunno for sure but it could help.

mohrds, 4dog, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  18. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    I did that for the first 3 months, however this is sound advice. Im going to do this

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

....25% of the time! :laugh:

"execution?" your band can't even "execute" rehearsals. :D

Slorra440 and Wisebass like this.
  20. What type of music do y'all play? Is the drummer just terrible, or is it a matter of y'all not finding the groove?