1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really dumb question: how do I tell if the tweeter in my combo is working?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deckard, Apr 7, 2009.

1. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    See... I said it was a dumb question.

I just took delivery on a new Markbass CMD 121H & just want to make sure the compression driver/custom horn is functioning...

Please be kind... or not!

(attempts to make self invisible)

2. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I guess to really make it clear, crank your EQ down completely except for the high and hit a harmonic.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You should be able to hear it by putting your ear close to it and adjusting thehighs up and down. If there's a tweeter switch you should hear a difference between on and off.

You don't have to have the amp cranked to do this... no point in blowing out an ear drum.
    :cool:

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Turn the VLE knob fully counter clockwise. Do your corniest Marcus Miller impression. Turn the VLE knob fully clockwise. Do your corniest Marcus Miller impression. Your compression driver should be pretty much fully attenuated with the VLE clockwise.*

*Disclaimer: I haven't used the MarkBass amps, just read about them on here quite a bit, so take my instructions with a huge grain of salt.

5. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Can you run line from say a cd player or your computer into it? If so, I ripped this wav file for you to test. It's a sine wave from 20KHz to 20Hz. You should clearly be able to hear the tweeter within the first couple of seconds.

http://www.mediafire.com/Sine Sweep (20 KHz - 20 Hz).wav

You can't right click and save as. You will have to visit the actual link to download. Sorry, it's the only place I host files.

6. Q: how do I tell if the tweeter in my combo is working?

A: Does it really matter??:ninja:

Seriously...just play a CD through it. You should hear cymbals, clear guitars and keys. If these sound muffled, it's not functioning properly.

Just remember, there is not much high frequency content in the average bass guitar signal. We didn't have tweeters for many years in the best bass amps.

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    without anything plugged into the amp. turn the amp on, set the volume near full, boost the treble to the max and put your ear near the tweeter. it should hiss quite a bit. that will tell you if its working. if it is, use the advice of the others here and play some music thru it to see if its working properly.

8. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Thanks much, everybody - lots of ideas here & I'll be trying 'em!