Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

really dumb question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by billio, May 22, 2005.

1. billio

billio Bass Head

Hi Guys, you'll probably see this question as dumb, but how do you tell a 3/4 bass from a 4/4 bass etc... Is there any measurements from headstock to body or something like that?

One other dumbo question is where can I get a fingerboard "map"? I play bass guitar and the frets tell me where I am - obviously, no such gizmo on a bass?!?!

Before anyone suggests going to a teacher, I'm actually in Saudi Arabia and there are no teachers, luthiers, music books etc... So, I'm flying solo here.

Any info would be a real help

2. With regards to the size question, use the search function in the basses forum. There are many threads discussing the issue.

For the "map" question you can visit Bob Gollihur's links . He has a link--I don't remember which one--that will show you what you want to know. Just remember, the notes on a DB are in the same relative position as on the BG. You will just have to learn to use ears and muscles rather than eyes.

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  4. billio

billio Bass Head

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I can't find the link though Bob...