Really easy peasy songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Komakino, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Hey all.

My mates and I are just starting a band. We're all new to the band situation and the drummer and I are new to our instruments (I'm the guitarist - we're a three piece). For a total beginner he's not bad on the drums at all but we need some simple songs just to get ourselves together and find out what suits us so has anyone got any ideas for really easy songs we can play just to get started and find our feet?

The bassist, BTW, isn't bad on his instrument - that's why I was relegated to guitar!
  2. I'd say Hash Pipe by Weezer.
  3. try "two states" by pavement. i'm not a drummer, but the drum part sounds pretty easy and really fun at the same time.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    anything by the Ramones, Neil Young, early Jonathan Richman, early U2, Sex Pistols
  5. If you are worried about the drummer, I can reccomend Weezer as having easy drum parts, but then I suppose you kinda need two guitars.

6. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Most Weezer is really easy, that Hives song, "Hate to Say I Told You So" sounds like the drumbeat is just your standard rock beat so that would be easy.
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Creep with Radiohead. Three chords, it couldn´t get any simpler. G - B - C
  8. Try playing the song "lick it up. By kiss" its really simple to play.
  9. Lakeside Park by Rush, simple.:D
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Black Sabbath's Paranoid is always fun but easy. It was the first song I ever played on bass.
  11. Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    nirvana - smells like teen spirit . The classic beginners song :D
  12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

How about very early Beatles, especially the album with "I Want To Hold Your Hand"...their first big hit album. Also consider other bands of the period such as The Monkeys.

Any fifties rock should be fairly easy...Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. Some Motown...The Supremes, the Four Tops.

Some early blues...House of the Rising Sun, songs like that---Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters.

Oh, how about Culture Club?
  13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Adams song- Blink 182
    Easy, and effective!
  14. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Dammit-Blink 182
    Song 2-Blur

My sons band have or will play these songs along with Teen Spirit and my son (drums) is the veteran having been playing for a year.

15. AH! Tom Petty!!! I've been strumming "freefallin" for the past week - I can't believe I didn't consider the whole band doing it! It's not like songs get any easier than three chords...two of which are a variation of the same one!

(Worryingly it turns out that I'm the best drummer -and the other guy can't play my guitar because he's a lefty)
  16. SKB

SKB Guest

The middle by Jimmy Eat World, its really easy and sounds good.
  17. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Offspring if you're looking for the punk feel...
  18. anything by rage against the machine. "know your enemy", "killing in the name of" and "bulls on parade" were all favorites of mine when I first began playing.
  19. Knocking On Heavens Door. A song everyone knows and it doesnt get any easier:
    Three easy chords - G D Am Am.