REALLY Heavy Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyThePlumberMan, Feb 4, 2001.

1. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey guys!

I have a question...what would a bass sound like it all heavy woods/components were used? I always hear people talking about everything on a bass being lightweight to "breathe", but what would if be like if you had everything in hard, dense woods?

For example, wenge body, maple neck, ebony fretboard, brass everything, etc? Would it just sound like metal strung to a rock?

Anyway, thanks!
  2. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    My bass got a maple neck and a maple body, a big chrome bridge, chrome pick covers, it isnt all that heavy though. It sounds incredible. I love rickenbackers.
  3. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I had bought an '81 G+L 2000,in about 1992,it was so heavy that when you played sitting down,it cut off the circulation in my right leg!! It had an Ash body(?)Ebony board,heavy chrome bridge etc.It sounded good, had nice sustain,was even up and down the fretboard,but it sounded a little sterile.It was so frickin'heavy I called to return it to the guy I bought it from(Dan Lakin)who had me foward it to Bob Hynosky!(Bass Palace)
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    A while back, Warmoth had a solid ebony neck. Take that beast and stick it on
    a Northern Ash bod with a 2Tek bridge...:eek:

Still gotta' be lighter than a Steinway Concert Grand :D .
  5. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    It would sound like a Warwick Thumb.
  6. Can You say "Peavey T-40"? Sure, I knew You could.
  7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my doubleneck weighs about 26 pounds. it sounds pretty killer. :D
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Just played on this today... an old 70s Ovation. Looks like it came right out of the Partrige Family. Damn thing almost broke my shoulder... sounded cool though. Humoungus pickups. 3 band EQ on the face of the thing.. it was funky.
  9. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    the heaviest bass i ever played was my dmz4000b by kramer walnut body aluminum neck bad ass bridge it had the ebanol about susutain the guy's in the band loved it so did i .why did i sell it???man i want that bass back.

remember as alway's rock till ya drop !!!!!
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, i was gonna say that!
  11. My friend's Epiphone T-Bird feels like it has a few bricks tied to the headstock. It makes a sound like "ka-thunk" when it hits the floor.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had one of those, too. It was on the heavy side but my G&L seems heavier.
  13. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    hey brad i also owned an asat g&l with the ash body and that was also the L2000 the way i just ordered an ASAT BASS from G&L through tim at buffalo bros.adds up like this.swamp ash back,curly maple top,with white binding on the top.birds eye maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.clear finish and to make it sparkle gold just another 14 weeks to go :eek: !!!

and remember as always rock till ya drop !!!!!
  14. I usually play basses on the light side but just got a Plexiglass Renaissance bass with a maple neck, badass bridge that's heavy, like twice as heavy as my other basses. It's even heavier than the old T-40 bass that sounds great but can't seem to sell. It has a tight punchy kind of sound with out a lot of over tones, but that could also be a product of the old DiMarzio P Pickups that are on the bass.
  15. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I posted before about the G+L L-2000,that cut off ciculation in my leg,while playing seated.I forgot to mention the very first NEW bass I bought-a 69 or 70 Dan Armstrong plexiglass,great action good sound,but it doubled as an anchor!
  16. Played my friend's Fender Jazz 5-string for a couple months till I got my own bass...I could only play standing for like 10 minutes before my shoulder died!
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Czech Spectors are also pretty bloody heavy. A shame, since the design itself is so ergonomic.
  18. I will second cyklone on the Fender Jazz. I have the Delux Five string and it is heavey. It cuts the circulation off in my leg when I play it seated, and gives me a sore shoulder. I think I am giong to buy a wide leather strap for it to give me some comfort...Isn't bass playing great!!!
  19. What did you expect from an all-maple bass?
  20. a gibson rd artist has some great weight for a bass that doesn't look like i will