1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Really, honestly, thinking of going veggie.... (recipies wanted)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Yes, ive finally decided to go veggie :D

And due to me having access to the internets, I also feel I MUST post a thread about it in TBs OT.....

Im looking for some cool recipies as well :D

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Squash is very usable in many different forms of cooking.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I would die for acorn squash and brown sugar.....

Well, as a diabetic, I might die from too much of it......

4. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Dan pass me along some of the recipes you find,I have the feeling I'm about to get very sick very soon.:D

:atoz:

5. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    go for it. living on the west coast should make the transition easier. lots of support. join your local co-op, you will learn lots about food.

6. Move to Nelson, then you can join the entire town in being tree hugging hippies. Me, I am off to eat some bacon and steak.

lowsound

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Huh????? :confused:

LOL. I'd rather move to Saltspring tho.... :D

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Jim Gaffigan has a funny bit on his new DVD about vegetarians....how they don't eat meat but they try to make everything they eat taste like meat. :)

I would like to do this as well, I really would. I just don't like enough veggies to make it work for me. I did stop eating pork and chicken though.

-Mike

9. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    good point. i was gonna get to the recipe request part of this thread...

i am not a fan of the "meat substitutes" and if you look at the ingredients list, you will find it is far from simple and natural.

i can supply some recipes, but could you tell me how adventurous of a cook/eater you are? i probly won't have the time to sit down with my recipe book this weekend, but on monday i will want excuses to avoid doing my taxes. :D

10. Prosciutto wrapped asparagus are pretty...oh wait.

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Learn how to cook with lentils and how to make falafel.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I will pretty much try anything at least once :D Except for cow dung. Never going to eat that ;)

13. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Angus beef, canadian geese, southern chicken, hog ribs, PCNW Salmon, cut throat trout, Alaskan King Crab,.....oh, those earen't veggies....try Krispy Kreem Donuts, Little Debbie cakes (they all taste the same, doesn't matter the name on the box) . Does pop-corn cout as a veggie?

Sincerly, I' rather (and probaly would) die than give up meat and junk food.

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Here ya go.

Lentils are good source of protein and they are way better tasting (IMO) than most other beans out there. They don't give you gas either. I've seen a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown used lentils to make a meat substitute. I can't seem to youtube the episode but it is called "Pantry Raid 6". There is an organic food store in town that sells coconut burgers that have lentils in them as well. Very good (when the cook them all the way through).

Falafel is available in a box or bulk mix. which my wife and I use (bulk from the organic food store). Add ( a certain amount of) water...let sit for 15 minutes then deep fry. I use a dutch oven (not that one :rolleyes:) to fry and then crush the falafel up on some pita with Annie's Goodess Dressing, cucumbers and clover sprouts (add whatever you want...onions tomatoes, candy bars).

Lentil Soup

EDIT: Note that I am not a vegetarian. I can go a few meals without meat though.

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That actually sounds really awesome :D

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Dont tell me squash is going to become the next bacon. :atoz:

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Prolly not. We had carrots before.

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    :eek:
    Not in a million years.

Squash is just a good medium for cooking if you want something other than the normal rice, potatoes, salad greens, and veggies all the time.

19. you could try your hand at making some veggie sushi. Always tastes good.

lowsound

20. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I was veggie for four or five years, then one night I was getting drunk after splitting up with a girl and went on a drunken meat binge.

Anyway...

Boil and roughly mash garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
    Mix with a bunch of grated/chopped vegetables
    Add seasoning/veg stock/yeast extract/whatever floats your boat
    Add a tiny bit of flour and an egg as a binder

DIY Veg burgers. As tasty as you want to make them, lots of experimental potential, very nutritious.