really light 5-string??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pi_r_squared, Feb 22, 2010.

1. pi_r_squared

pi_r_squared

Sep 3, 2008
    ok, I'v wanted a 5-string for a while, playing bass for praise team for a church, the leader has a knack for dropping songs a half-step or so.....never seen so many e-flats.

I picked up a really cheap 5 -string, Rogue LX205B....$110 including shipping, it was worth a try, reviews said it was worth checking out. Play it mostly like a 4-string, up at the 5th fret, but gives me the versatility to drop when I need to.

Here's the question, the strings have always seemed "floppy".....finally measured them the other day. The Low B mics at .112". This seems insanely light.....I had to dig around a LOT to even find a set of strings as light as these listed anywhere. Is this "crazy light"? It seems like I routinely bounce the low E and Low B off the frets....is there some technique I'm missing? or am I better ditch the stock strings for something more "normal"?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Would be hard to get good sound with that light a B string, even more so with a rogue. Your not missing anything in technique as far as getting strings to not be floppy. Some extended scale basses (they cost lots more then rogue of course) might be able to use such a light gauge. But best bet is to get heavier gauage strings. Standard gauge for fiver would be big improvement imo. IMo you also really need long scale (35) for good b string sound. Very few exceptions do exist, but theyre much much higher end then rogue.

3. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I've seen five string bass strings from DR that were super skinny like that.

I'd say you'd want a .120 - .130 for a solid B tuning.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021