Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Really loose strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KiTTiE, Jan 1, 2001.

1. KiTTiE

KiTTiE

Jan 1, 2001
    I've started playing bass just over a month ago. I changed the strings that were on it when I got it. The previous strings wern't too loose or too tight, when I put on the new strings, they were really loose, I can pull two strings together, easily, I couldn't do that before. I tried tightening them, but it seemed too tight. Please help this new bass player out!

2. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Illinois
    You do know about tuning your bass right? (Tuning your bass is accomplished by tightening or loosening your strings, which changes their pitch.)
    Heavier gauge strings require more tightening than lighter gauge strings to achieve a high tuning (such as middle C) while the converse is true. (Lighter gauge = looser for a low note - e.g. low B.) That could explain some of it.

3. KiTTiE

KiTTiE

Jan 1, 2001
    I've tuned my strings to BEADG, the tuner says they're right...

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hmmm....Surely you didn't tune them an octave low....I don't think a tuner could possibly pick up that low B if it was an octave down. Thats all I can think of though is that you tuned it an octave down. However, DO NOT try tightening them up another octave...somebody here just tried that and busted their strings, and I DONT want to be responsible for that.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    But, another thing is that the strings that you put on there may be of a lot heavier gauge than the ones before, so you just think they are loose because they are bigger.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Can you say what the brand name is of the new (or old) strings?...
    GHS, Fender, Dean Markley, etc.

Thomastik-Infelds are very low tension.
    DR Hi-Beams and Sunbeams are low tension too (round vs. hex core).

7. KiTTiE

KiTTiE

Jan 1, 2001
    I've no clue what the old strings were, maybe Fender, since the bass is a Fender. They were larger than the new strings I put on, which were Ernie Ball Slinkys. The measurements for the new strings are: 45,65,80,100 and 130. The old ones were something like 50,70,85,105, 135, unless they were measured wrong, but I think thats right.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Dang! I was hopin' we were dealin' with strings I'd used in the past year or so :p .
    The most recent experience I have with Fenders is when I swapped-out
    a set of their rounds for some Blue Steel mediums on a friend's MIM Jazz a while back.
    I remember the Fender's bein' kinda' stiff.
    The last time I used Ernie Ball :rolleyes: ? (over 20 years ago).
    As I recall, I was goin from Rotosound 66's to Ernie Ball (less $$$),
    and the EB's were a little "floppy" compared to the Rotos.

The best thing I can think of is this: If you like the strings
    that came with your bass (as you said - probably Fenders)
    then go with Fender strings. They're about as inexpensive as EB's -
    if budget's a problem. They should be as prevalent as EB in your local Mars or G/C.

Herm (the String forum moderator) can probably help too.
    I betcha' he knows what goin' on here.

There's a good online store ~ http://www.juststrings.com
    Herm though, will beat ANY price !!! ;) .

9. KiTTiE

KiTTiE

Jan 1, 2001
    Yeah! The old strings, lets just say they're Fenders, were like sticks. The Ernie Ball ones were like... pieces of yarn. I think that may be the answer to my question. Thanks guys!