1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really low freq bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveSill, Jan 15, 2013.

1. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I want to cover a song that's got very low frequency bass--one or two octaves lower than standard bass guitar tuning. My first thought was an octave effect, but the one on my Zoom B2 is not up to the task. I'm guessing that some sort of keyboard would be the way to go. Back in the day there were these things called "bass pedals" that were like a 13-key (or so) keyboard that you played with you feet for ultra low bass notes. They don't seem to be available now.

So what would it take to emulate that with a small keyboard...on the cheap? Would something like an Akai Pro LPK25 be sufficient? Can it learn new voices? Does it have analog out that'll plug into a PA?

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Most likely NOT two octaves lower -- that would be down in the 10 Hz. range.

You can certainly pick up a NEW set of MOOG Taurus 3 Bass Pedals. I have a set. Look on Ebay, new ones will cost about $2000.

3. DaveSill

Jan 25, 2012
    OK, thanks. Didn't realize that. This is what I'm trying to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wemTtSiDsM4

That's way out of my price range...I'd like to keep it under $100...it's just an experiment, at this point.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest you post in the Effects forum.

5. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Nov 12, 2012
    Where's JAUQO III-X? It seems like this is right up his alley...

6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Try an Alesis nano bass module-- you can probably get a used one for $75 -$100. Then find a cheap set of triggers-
    small plastic keyboard with midi out.

A limiting factor to hearing the low stuff is the speaker cab.

7. DaveSill

Jan 25, 2012
    OK...so, turns out I've already got a small plastic keyboard with MIDI out: a RockBand keyboard controller. So all I need is a NanoBass and a MIDI cable?

Our P/A is pretty capable.

8. DaveSill

Jan 25, 2012
    OK, picked up a Nano Bass and a MIDI cable. Plugged in the Rock Band keyboard controller, and BAM! I've got some really low bass. :)

Now I need to find out which of the voices will do the trick and learn how to play the thing. :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021