Really Need Help on Slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hendrix_guitar, Dec 16, 2005.

1. hendrix_guitar

Dec 16, 2005
    Hi All,
    I am a new bass player. I got a problem when i practice slap. Once my thumb slaps the string, the string will then hit the frets. That gives me a buzz. Is it normal or the way I slap is wrong? any idea. Your advice is highly appreciated!!
    :help: :help:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It just sounds like your bass needs to be setup correctly. Since you are new to bass, im 99% sure your bass is not setup as it should be, and novice players usually cant tell the difference. I would take it in to a local shop that knows what they are doing.
  3. Well, the string is supposed to hit the frets when you slap. It's not supposed to buzz though. It just hits once.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Me personally, I like a little string rattle when I slap. But quite often, all it takes is a little experimentation in hitting the string with your thumb to eliminate excess rattle. If you're pulling the string with your thumb rather than hitting it like a drumstick, this could cause excess rattle.
  5. hendrix_guitar

Dec 16, 2005
    Thank you guys for replies. I found actually the string hits the fret only once after slap, so it is not buzz. it will produce a clap sound but luckily it wonnt come out from the amp. I am wondering if this is normal. :bassist:
  6. Yes -- that sound is what makes it slap.
  7. hendrix_guitar

Dec 16, 2005
    really helpful, thank you!