1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Really Need Some Feedback

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey all,

I'm about ready to send this song off to be mixed but I don't know if the bass is groovin' the way it should. I would love any feedback on the bass line mainly in the verses.

Thank you!!

2. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The bass guitar is being overshadowed by the kick. The bass groove is too loosey-goosey for my taste and pokes out in a lot of spots in a disconnected way. It'll line up with the drums and then slip away. The times when it doubles the guitar figures isn't tight. Also,that busy of a part suggests a slightly brighter bass sound. I'd take another crack at it.

Bassbeater likes this.
  3. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for this feedback. I hope the kick issue will be taken care of during the mixing process. This is a very rough mix that I do as I record. I think I'm following a lot of what you're saying here. Are you mainly talking about the verses? It does get a little busy and loses the foundation at times. I'm going to try to do something a bit more laid back maybe?

4. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I like the part itself pretty well, actually. It's really not too busy. I don't have a sense that the verses are better or worse than the rest. It just needs to feel more "in charge." That may be because I'm a pretty bossy bass player.

Listened again. It has kind of a Barenaked Ladies vibe to it. It's nice.

5. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay I took your advice and I took a few more cracks at it. I really think it's improving! I wasn't listening closely enough to the drums. What do you think of it now?

6. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    The first verse still needs improvement but the rest of the song improved dramatically after your feedback. Thanks man!

7. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    When you send it to get mixed, separate the vocals dry from the effects track to give options. I would leave more high mids on the bass to let it cut in the mix. The mix engineer can always dial it back, but it can lose quality or sound harsh if they have to excite it. I suggest sending a reference (this) mix to the engineer with the raw tracks too.

saabfender and MycooLeeyun like this.
  8. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for that feedback. I usually send all the tracks raw with the exception of some guitar tones that I like.

Bassbeater likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021