Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Really Need the Feedback

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by roee_co, Jan 3, 2006.

1. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Why do you REALLY need the feedback?

3. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
    so i could get another prespective on my music

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ah... I see. Just wondering if it was a life or death type thing. Like if you don't get feedback at 55mph a bus would explode.

5. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
    na don't worry

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Agg: Since I'm being an ass, I guess I'll give feedback...

An overall vibe of your songs
    - The tone drives my nuts, it sounds like there is a lot of clipping or something. This might just be me, but everything sounds really sharp. The slapping gives me a headache.

- They aren't really... songs... to me. As much as ideas for songs. I do the same thing. The songs just don't do anything, it's like jam band fluff... I think you're a really good bassist, but I don't think you are good enough to do the bass and only bass (and fake drums of course) thing.

So, uh... yeah. Join a band if at all possible, I think you'd sound great in a band context. Not so much a solo artist. This is a great way to organize ideas though. Record these "songs" and show them to people to get in a band and work around some of the ideas.

7. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
    Fair enough :), when do you hear any clippings on the tone? i didn't notice, i actually liked the tone i got.

8. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I too noticed the clipping. Also at about 45 seconds into 3AM There is a combination of notes that don't sound so good to my ears. While it's not what I would normally listen to, I think what you are doing is pretty interesting, and your playing is good.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Tone is all a matter of preference, if you like it, that's cool. I'm sure other people would like it too, it's just too harsh with not enough low end to balance it out. Once again, all preference.

The clipping? There was quite a few spots... on almost every track. The further you get into production, the more you'll notice things like this... it will drive you insane.

10. roee_co

roee_co

May 20, 2005
    NY, Long Island
    oh so its production wise? not technique wise? cause when i'm playing i can't really hear any thing like that.

also, you said you consider these just ideas form together and not songs, well what are songs then? i mean aren't songs are ideas form together? i mean when i wrote 3 AM i played the main riff and thought to myself "what next? keep with the fast tempo beat or slow it down and make melodic?" and that's why i think it is a song.

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Solo work of any kind doesn't usually sound like complete songs. I equate it more to techno. Keep that in mind when you're writing songs.

Make sure you are constantly trying to change the riffs and phrases up while keeping a tonal/musical center/idea. I've heard a lot of solo work that I would never consider full songs in the traditional sense, but if you consider them to be more ambient works, than you are trying to achieve something very different from a regular "song".

I liked most of your stuff and I agree that you should be in a band. A fairly eclectic band, if possible, because you have a lot of bases fairly well covered (no pun intended). You seem like you can hold down almost any style of bass. Join a band and demand a large sum of money. :bassist:

-Eric.