Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Really Nice Levelling Amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nad, Feb 5, 2006.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Anyone try one for bass? I'm probably going to pick up a Really Nice Compressor, but just wondering if anyone has tried this "coloUred" version. Might get that one anyhow, just to give it a shot.

Cheers,
    Adrian

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I asked the guy at Mercenary Audio if they were going to make a special edition version of the FMR RNLA (as they did with the RNC), and if so could they tailor it to bass? ...And he said he would not recommend the RNLA for bass. According to him, the tone of the RNLA is great, but lacks in punchiness and low-end strength.

OTOH, he then tried to sell me a $4,000 compressor... [:(]

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    hahaha, wow.

They made a special edition RNC? Do you have any other information on that?

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Well, I bought a Mr. Squishy instead. Still would like to hear other opinions though, if there are any. If this doesn't do what I need, I'll pick up an RNC. I'm not the biggest fan of compression so just need something minor, hope this here Squishmeister works out okay.

I know I'm just talking to myself so I'd also like to say that Poore Brothers jalapen~o tater chips frickin' rule.

5. A few months ago I had both the RNC and RNLA on test from a local store for use as a bass compressor. I recall that the RNLA had more color to the sound, and that I liked the color it imparted. It seemed more agressive sounding, while the RNC sounded more neutral. In the end I bought a used RNC from Talkbass, but in a way I prefer the sound of the RNLA.

Here were my thoughts back in November:

As it is rather hard to accurately describe sound perception, I'm not sure how
    exactly to characterize the RNLA, but it definitely sounds different than the
    RNC. When the RNLA compresses hard, it makes the signal sound more audibly
    "smashed" but in kind of a "juicy, fat" sort of way, while the RNC seems to have
    less of a noticeable compression artifacts. I actually quite like the sound the
    RNLA imparts, in some ways more so than the RNC. If I were looking for a funky
    sounding compression effect, the RNLA would fit the bill.

BTW, I have no idea what Fletcher at Mercenary was talking about. I heard no lack of punch from the RNLA.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It was basically a custom rack-mounting kit for the RNC with a fancy engraved black faceplate. I think they made three versions: for one RNC, two RNCs, or an RNC with an RNP.

I suggested maybe they could make a unit that had two RNLAs with a crossover between them, for separate compression of the lows and highs, but Fletcher said he doesn't like split-band compression in general.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bumping this old thread as I plan to buy one of these FMR comps but wont be able to try before I buy.
    Has anyone else tried the RNLA?

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bumping one last time...
    Anyone else try this yet? :hyper: