really nice PRS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by way_of_opiatism, Sep 11, 2003.

1. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i dunno if theres many PRS fans here but this is an amazing issue from them. ive never had a chance to play one of their bass but i've loved their guitars since roll the bones came out.

2. The price tag on that dragon guitar is scary, Foderas don't seem so pricey by comparison. It approaches what Alembic will quote on a loaded out Series II Omega...

I do have a 2001 PRS bass, I am very fond of it. Great playability, balance and craftsmanship. I love the tones I get from it, and rarely turn on the active EQ. It isn't as versatile as some instruments, but I don't mind keeping a few to cover my different needs.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    im not fond of paintjobs such as that. Look kinda childish.
  4. It isn't a paintjob, it is inlay. The description from their site:

"The Dragon 2002 is our most aggressive inlay to date with a dragons head covering more than 85% of the body and part of the Brazilian rosewood neck. The Dragon 2002 is a Singlecut model with 272 pieces inlay consisting of 12 different types of shell, 5 different stones and fossilized mastodon ivory."

They don't seem to offer that inlay job on a bass though...
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have no doubt that it's a fine playing guitar. It's not my style of finish though.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That one has never really appealed to me. It looks like a giant oyster shell. I like the old Dragon I, II, and IIIs better where it extends up the neck. But at $25,000, I think maybe you're getting a little more of your money's worth with that one.
  7. I love dragons therefore I love the guitar
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That's very nice work. Lots of hours and skill in that one. The tone/volume knobs ruin it somewhat though.
  9. I admire the amount of work involved, but it still doesn't do it for me. The guitar looks like something the guys in GWAR would play. :eek:
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, that's insane inlay work! :eek:

But I still prefer Ruokangas's, when it comes to hand-crafted geetars:

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

The eyes/teeth/horns would have taken alot of work..

Man, the whole bloddy thing would have taken alot of work...:D
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You know, I've always liked, even loved, PRS guitars--even the new ones, despite the BS Ed Roman puts out about how they're supposedly inferior ;) --but I really dislike the Dragon models, that one most of all. On one level, yeah, it's amazing work ... but it strikes me as amazing work only on a purely ornamental level, and it's not even to my taste as ornament. In the process of making the guitar into this overornamented gewgaw, PRS has managed to strip of it of nearly all its elegance as a *musical tool*. They turned it into a piece of kitschy wall art. IMHO of course.

EDIT: way, on rereading this, it sounds as if I'm trying to piss on your parade. I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent. I just really don't like this thing. But I do love PRSs!:)
  13. It is an art guitar. Paul Reed Smith has said in the past that the Dragon series is a result of a dream he had a long time ago about a guitar with a dragon inlay. More power to him I say.

Is it my favorite PRS? No.

Is it beautiful? Yes.

Am I glad it exists? Absolutely.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    For a working guitar it's not practical.
    For a piece of art it's incredible.

I'm sure the Dragon slayers will come out of the woodwork.:D
  15. Bold originally posted by WOOFMAN

For a working guitar it's not practical.

That's relative. For the person who can afford it and likes the way it plays and sounds it's as practical as any other guitar.

For a piece of art it's incredible.

16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well i still dont like it. Wat it IS doesnt change the way it looks really. Although i bet someone wil beg to differ, sadly.
  17. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I wouldn't want it. I'd be afraid I'd break it every time I touch it.

and what's up with the hardware? It's not real in that picture, looks photoshopped on. Wouldn't they have a real picture of it by now?