Really Old Kay Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewanderer24, Jan 10, 2005.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I was in the studio yesterday recording a demo with my main band, and the first thing I see when I walk in, is a beautiful, very old bass hanging on the wall. From a distance, to my eye, it looked like a 50's or 60's era franken-Tele-bass type thing.

Get up close, realize it was actually a Kay.

After getting permission, I pulled it off the wall, and started playing around with it while my drummer was getting set up (I brought my raven labs headphone amp). Very different neck design. kinda narrow string spacing and fingerboard, and MONSTROUSLY thick neck - I am talking almost upright meaty. It felt suprisingly good, and other than some intonation issues further up the neck, sounded really nice. The thing had a rosewood fretboard that must've been 3/8" thick. As thick as I have ever seen.

Electronics were passive. Volume plus tone control, and some switch that I didn't really figure out, though it seemed to add brightness when engaged. I left it in what I thought was the "off" position. Pots were a little scratchy, but what do you expect on a bass 4+ decades old, with original electronics? There was only one narrow pickup near the neck. Sounded warm, dark and smooth, especially since it had flats on it.

I really enjoyed playing this bass.

I actually wound up recording a song with it yesterday, which I think turned out well, but we'll see when I go back next week.

Anyway, not sure what the point of this thread was. Just wanted to babble a little about a cool old bass I got to play yesterday.
  2. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    No need to apologize. Many of us love old basses! Any way you can get a pic and post it if you are going back next week?
  3. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    if I can borrow a digital camera before I head over there next week, I will snap a few photos.
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Nice. Is it a 34 scale bass, or is it a "shorty"?
  5. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    i was wondering the same thing actually this morning!! I didn't put it right up to my 34" scale bass that I had with me, so I am not really sure. It wasn't really short scale, cause it felt comfortable to me, but it might have been 33" or even slightly shorter for all I know. Definitely will have to check that when I go back.