Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

really psyched about reviews of Ritter and JD bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Mar 12, 2005.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, as some of you know, i've had the honor of reviewing a couple of very fine instruments for the past month or so and am about to wrap up both writeups. i'm really psyched about both of the instruments, they were both exotic and lovely :) just wanted to get everyone pavlovian before i actually got them up :cool:

i'll be putting the ritter review up this week and the jd review will follow in the middle of april (i planned on them being a bit earlier but i wanted to get to play them at some open mics to try them live and i couldn't find any suitable ones until recently). i'll be putting up lots of pics of each bass as part of the review, along with sound samples (putting them together now).

i have some minor things with both instruments but that's to be expected - all in all both are amazing examples of luthiery. hopefully if the big kahuna (paul) likes the reviews they will be put up on the front page as well, and then i want to have a discussion thread about each one so that folks can ask questions and such.

this is such fun :)

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool John :) , would you ever think about Buying a Ritter for yourself?.

3. I think he would like to buy one someday...(who wouldn't ?:D )

Man , i can't wait for those reviews ! :hyper:

4. Nice, you should be biased of having both exceptionnal basses home...
    What were those bass?? 6-7-8-9???

Bye
    Vince

5. both 7 strings. ( Ritter and Jerry Drouzd) one of the basses he had was this one :
    [​IMG]

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Those pix better be ultra high res! :D

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, whats the price tag on that Ritter?.

8. i guess at least 5000 $ ... :crying:

9. Great! Can't wait to check 'em out.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would buy basses from both of these makers. definitely.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, all the reviews that i do will be on 7 string instruments. :)

12. Never tried more than 6.....Would be curious to try a 7 or more...Not enough there in France, or none! :)

Vince

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    jerzy drozd is very close by in spain. and worth the drive, i might add. :)

then again, jens ritter is pretty close in the opposite direction, so there you go.

and then again there's a guy here on talkbass who is in france and makes some great instruments, including 7's. his name is jp.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    With a million thanks to JT, I was able to play that Ritter last night. It blew me away. I have never had a chance to play a bass like that before. It was amazing. The attention to detail, and workmanship are unbelievable....seriously. That Ritter pictured above is a piece of art.

The JD is also superb The blue LED's marking the frets are way too cool. I literally said "WHOA!" when John handed me the bass, and I saw them. That JD, to me, is out of this world cool. It sounded so awesome.

I have always been skeptical of basses that cost $5000 or more. I wondered how in the thunder someone could charge that much for a bass. Now....I know. Not everyone will have a chance to get their hands on one of these basses. I consider myself extremely fortunate for the opportunity. Also indebted to JT for making it happen.

-Mike

15. i can't wait to play one myself ! Hopefully i can play one at the musikmesse this year :hyper: Was that the highlight of your trip to Atlanta ?

i think i'll have to quote myself

Please Paul put them on the front page :bassist:

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sweet deal.

Even though I dont see either of these basses in my future I love reading these reviews. Most of my rig was purchased blindly based on TB reviews and Im happy with the way its turned out. Im sure these reviews will empty a few bassists wallets. ;)

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i'm trying to get paul to put them on the front page. today i'm doing some recorded clips of the jerzy drozd, then i have to send it back to dan lennard at luthiers access group :(. heh j/k, i'm really honored that dan and jerzy drozd gave me access to the instrument for over a month. it's been great to check it out. i'll probably be sending the ritter on its way too in the next week or so, unfortunately.

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    both Ritter and JD are amazing... it's crazy how much attention to detail Jens is, even down to the individual taper angle on each of the fret edges.

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Dig Jens' glasses! I gotta get some of those.

Will

20. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    John, thanks for the info to date, looking forward to a full commentary. I think the thing that's cool about this process is that you have seemingly entered into this with no pre-concieved notions or expectations .... those characteristics will bring real meaning to the reviews, as opposed to so many of the reviews here on TB that are so seriously biased towards the bass simply because the reviewer owns one.

And not to blow smoke up your b*tt, but your reputation and skills as a player also lend great credibility to the reviews. Yeah, Paul, I agree with the others, a little additional front page exposure would be really cool ....... :cool: