really rare question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Aug 5, 2005.

1. so a week or so ago my amp (peavey tko65) starts farting. i call my repair shop and say that i think the 15 speaker has reached the end of it's days and it needs to be replaced. i'm talking with a tech and he mentions "peavey speakers are actually a really good deal, because if a speaker blows, you don't have to spend the extra money for the magnet, but you just have to pay to rebuild the speaker." are there any cabs out there that use this sorta thing?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    McAuley drivers are like that also.

3. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Reconing is actually simple to DIY

and emerance also has recone kits available for most of their speakers.
  4. I don't know if others do it like Peavey. If I remember correctly the magnet is bolted to the basket. Easy DIY switch and a whole lot cheaper. I know you can buy the basket assembly on the internet.

It would be nice if other manufactuers did this but where's the money in that? :meh:
  5. Peavey offers some speakers with field replaceable baskets and that may be what he was refering to, but there's no magic about Peavey speakers. Any speaker is rebuildable as long as there are rebuild kits still available for it.
  6. If it's got a Peavey Black Widow or Scorpion speaker, you buy what they call the "field replaceable basket assembly".

Take the speaker out of the cabinet. Unbolt the magnet off the back of the speaker and take it off, there's 3 screws IIRC.

Put the old magnet on the new basket. Screw the screws in. Put the speaker back in the cab and rock.

Saves about 1/3 of the cost of a new speaker. American Musical sells replacement baskets, Parts Express does too. I think Parts Express is cheaper. No need to pay a reconer service.

Here's one of the Parts Express baskets, it's easy.