Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Really, really cheap cab for practice space...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 31, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't think this is possible, but I'll toss it out anyway.

We jam over at my guitarist's house. We used to play in the living room, which was an easy loadin. However, the basement guitar ghetto is now complete, which is a real haul - a long, narrow, steep stairway from the back of the house. Not fun.

My idea all along has been to leave my old Peavey Basic 40 combo there for quickie jams. However, last night proved just how badly this thing sucks.

I have my G-K 400RB backup head, but no extra cab. I'd prefer a 4 Ohm cab so I'd be running 200W. (He's moderately loud.) I really don't want to spend much money at all - I'm still saving for my second Bag End.

Any suggestions for a really, really cheap cab? I'd prefer a 15, but suspect a 2x10 would be a lot easier to find in 4 Ohm configuration. (I missed out on an old Crate 15 for $50 at Cash Converters - $#@&$!) What about those Alumnibass cabs? Weren't they really cheap?

I'm willing to live with less than optimum sound for this purpose - it's just for the times we want to get together for an hour or two without a half-hour each loadin and loadout.

2. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Try out www.avatarspeakers.com

Do a search on Talkbass and you will find what some people are saying about these cabs. They are definetly in your price range, if not, then...uh...headphones?:)

3. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Um . . . email me at j-schwille@northwestern.edu and I'll sell you my peavey 1516 for $125, a great sounding cab, and loud enough to not be just a practice cab. I'm in chicago and want to sell it locally. . .

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you haven't already taken farboozle up on his offer, my recommendation is just to see what you can turn up locally in used cabs.

1-15" cabs are out of vogue these days and you can find beat up ones for $100 pretty easily, often with nice speakers inside (like JBL or EV).

For the practice space, brand is of zero concern, price is everything. Get a beater!

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My feelings exactly! Farboozle, incoming...

6. Used Peavey 210TX are 4ohm and go for $150 to $200.They get loud and sound good.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This AM, I did the big adventure and drove down to farboozle's home deep in the city. Not only does he have great taste in cabs (a pair of new Aggies) and some impressive chops, he's a stand-up guy too!

Thanks again, Jay! The Peavey should be perfect for my needs...

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'm telling you Heavyduty, if you don't check out Avatar, you gotta whole in your head.

Links to previous threads on Avatar's:

Link1

Link 2

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    1) More money than I wanted to spend for a practice cab.

2) If I'm gonna spend more money, I'll be picking up another Bag End.

3) See 1) above. ;)

Thanks for the idea, though...