1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

REALLY screwed up... desperately need help with wiring...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Insederec, Feb 25, 2016.

1. I've run into so many issues with wiring my Gecko 5 because it's my first attempt at anything like it, but man I really screwed it up. It has 4 knobs: 2 vol, 2 tone. I thought that seemed easy enough, just wire it like a jazz bass with an extra tone. I had essentially two paths where the hot wire went from the pickup to the tone to the jack. What ended up happening was every knob changed the volume and the tone at the same time and trying to make it work has left me with a jazz bass setup plus one useless knob and 4 roasted pots. That's right, they're all fried. Took a multimeter to them and they all do really wonky things when I turn them. Up, down, and weird tapers. All show between 10 and 20 K resistance except for the last or first 16th of a turn. What I've since learned (I think) is you can't have two tones without a selector switch. I can't do that though. For one, it's a little too late to put that in, but I also don't want a switch. So here are my problems.

1. I need to find some use for a 4th pot. I'm okay with having 2 volume and 1 tone because I'm used to that already with my Jazz, but the 4th one needs some use. I just have no idea what. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but I would prefer something that doesn't require me to buy some proprietary circuit (i.e. I can make it myself).

2. I need to buy another set of pots. Don't know which to get but that's my job I suppose.

3. I need a real diagram. Still don't know what the heck I'm doing. I've seen a few and tried wiring them to the bass but when they didn't work I had to rewire them, leading to my fried pot issue.

2. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    I've always dreamed of those Alembic filters they got in their basses, or one of those Vari-Tone switches they have in the Gibson ES-345. I know you said you didn't want an external circuit, but check them out, might give you some cool ideas!

3. Perhaps I could do something with the stereo jack I have in it. Although, I don't want to have any issues with plugging in a mono cord.

DLemos likes this.
  4. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Stereo's a great feature for guitars, and basses alike. Nothing like playing through two amps!

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    "stereo" is a novelty, i'd avoid going down that rabbit hole.

that 4th knob could become a rotary switch (pickup selector, series/parallel?), or maybe a G&L-style bass cut.

you could also add a 2-band EQ preamp, which might be more normal for a 5-string; 2 volumes (or volume/pan) and a bass knob/treble knob.

Rob22315 likes this.
  6. +1 to the bass cut.