Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Really stupid question, needing a probably obvious answer...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Convectuoso, Aug 19, 2005.

1. So this has been bugging me for awhile so here goes...

When playing this for example:

G---------------------------
    D------------------0---------
    A----------1---3-----2-0-2-------
    E---1---3-------------------

And this is going to sound really petty...But would you use Index and ring for the 1's and 3's? or could you use your middle and pinky? As it feels wierd having the pinky hanging just above the fret board.

I just don't want to get a sloppy or wrong technique for something this stupid.

Another example:

G---------------------------
    D--------7-------------------
    A---------------------------
    E---5------------------------

Now do you HAVE to use Index and ring or can I use my Index and pinky and not develop any bad habits I would realise I was developing?

Sorry if this seems pathetic but it would help.

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    First example: You need to use as many combinations as possible. That means using ALL four fingers, in alll the differnet combinations.

Second example: When I play octaves or "power chords", I always use the Index - Little finger combination. For me, it's the most comfortable position to play those types of chords and intervals, and frees up the Ring and Middle, ready for the next positioning.

3. So for the first example just find what's more comfortable? :confused:

4. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

Lots of people use their ring finger and pinky together on the same fret for when they dont need to reach across 4 frets. Its a relaxed hand position. Its called 1,2,4 fingering. There isnt a hard rule that you must always use one finger per fret esp when your so close to the nut.

The way I do it is when I only need to span 3 frets I treat my ring finger and pinky like one big finger and make them work together then when I need to stretch to 4 they work independently.

-Rav

5. I forgot to ask about using my Index and pinky to span 3 frets. As when I try to use my Index and ring I get buzz :crying:

Edit: I really only get buzz on the 1 and 3rd frets. AKA when I try to play Around the world and he uses those frets...

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    No. Learn all the combinations, for all fingers when playing scales, areppegios, chords, intervals etc. After while, it will all become comfortable.

For playing Octaves and power chords, "for me", I find it more efficient to use the Index - Little finger combination.

You will have to learn and experiment with as many fingering combinations as possible, so "you" can find out what's efficient and comfortable.

What works for me, might not work for you. So use them all.

And ask lots of questions. :)

7. Bit off topic but what part of New Zealand are you from...?

And about arpeggios and chords could you recommend some good lessons?

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Masterton dude. Not far from where you are.

This is pretty good book. Has stuff about and arppegios. But chords, I'll have check to see if it has.
    [​IMG]

9. Haha it had to be a book didn't it :p

I should really invest in a general method book.

Ahh, I need a job...

Any web based lessons?

10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Yes, I love books.

That one is a general method book, and there's a whole series of them.

But web based stuff, the stickies in General Instruction are good. There's the reading room as well. Plus, there's the talkbass archives.

I'm building something web-based too, but it won't be ready for a while.

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Have you checked out the music dojo thing that's stickied at the top of the general instruction page? It's a web-based resource that has courses by the likes of Adam Nitti and Dave Larue...

http://www.musicdojo.com/courses/catalog.asp

12. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    +1
    That's my fingering as well.

13. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

I'm honored. I think thats the first time anyone has +1'd anything I've ever posted. :)

-Rav

14. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Dont always play what's most comfortabable...

When i started i used one finger on each hand becaue it was most comfortable, now i'm a happy 9finger user(tapping, fingerstyle, slapping).

I always tells my friend(guitarist) to start using all 4fingers but he says it's uncomfortable, then i tell him to look how easy it looks when i plays because i barelly moves my hand and he answers "well, you are used to it"....

15. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    Don let it go to yer head...