Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Really stupid scales problem!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Hi, I'm in a stupid mood and was hoping someone could explain to me what is going on with scales!!! Why are they on more than one string at a time or am I talking rubbish. I got a few pages about major scales and it goes like this.

G--------------------
    D-1-----3---4-------
    A-1--2------4-------
    E----2------4-------

It says it is showing which finger to use so is it chords as in strumming it or what? Sorry if this is the stoopidest thing ever. I'm sure it must be really easy... :(

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13089

:D

The way that the diagram (tab) that you posted is read, is not as strumming, but rather as individual notes played one after another. These are not the only places that these notes appear on the fretboard, but it is one of them. The notes do not have to be played in any order, but they commonly are, especially when you're just learning them.

Oh yes, it's not necessarily the easiest thing ever, and it's a very good question. Please ask more of them. An example of the stoooopesest question ever would be something like, "How does Flea where his sock?," or "How can I sound closer to Fieldy and where can I find more TaBZ?!"

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    So you're saying I can play those notes in any order but keeping the overall shape the same? So, (in tab form:D)

G---------------------
    D--3---------1---4---
    A-1-------2----4-----
    E----2--4------------

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Scales are commonly played (when practicing) as from one root, to the next octave, from lowest to highest note. They do not have to be played that way. So, you're scale looks like Gb maj. You don't have to play the notes in any particular order. It's good to be able to hear the sound of the major scale from root to octave, but it gets alittle old to practice it that way every time. Get creative. Play the notes of the scale, learn them, but mix it up. Play every other note, every third, etc.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Starting on the E string, play that pattern (the first one you posted), starting on the 3rd fret (G note)you have a G major scale; starting on the 5th fret (A note) you have an A major scale; starting on the 8th fret C note) you have a C major scale. It is a movable pattern that will allow you to play any major scale anywhere on the neck.

Don't try to finger it like your second post.

6. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Bassgimp -
    What you have there is a major scale. Despite what has been said here about playing in any order, try it in order first like Jazzbo suggested. The major scale is the famous "do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" thing that I'm sure you're familiar with.

The numbers represent your fingers, played one finger per fret. The 1 is the index finger, 2 is the middle, 3 is the ring finger and 4 is the pinky. (I hesitate at saying "first fret for finger 1", because you can move this pattern up and down the neck and start on any note. You should also be able to shift this pattern "up" a string, starting on notes of the A string.

7. Damn Damn Damn, 15 years of bass playing right down that toilet in less than 2 seconds.

:D

8. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Bassgimp,
    You dont keep the same fingering down the fretboard, but u keep using the same notes in that major scale and go down the fret board playing those notes.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You can and would be wise to keep the same fingering anywhere on the fretboard, you have a moveable major scale when you do so.

10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Thanks for all your help, 7 months of playing and I only sort of even knew what a scale was and now I can play a major scale (badly). Well, it's better than nothing...

11. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Try playing just the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th notes of that scale as part of a blues line. It's hard to describe if you don't know what I'm talking about, but you'd know it if you heard it. Think BLUES...
    You can go slow or fast....

Rhythmically say:
    Chukka-duh, chukka-duh, chukka-duh, chukka-duh...

Play notes (1-1-3-3-5-5-6-5) on the "chuk" and the "duh".

The scales themselves are most useful to bassplayers as building blocks for things like this. You'll use those other notes in the scale too, but not so much for simple groove things like this.

12. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    So THAT's how you figure out a blue's scale! It's sooooo true that you NEVER stop learning! :)

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm a wealth of knowledge. :)

14. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Turock
    You can and would be wise to keep the same fingering anywhere on the fretboard, you have a moveable major scale when you do so.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that, but im just saying if u want to learn where all the notes are in that major scale. you keep those notes and play them down the fretboard to get to know where all the notes are on your bass, while this also helps your ear in music. And with that same fingering u can go into different keys in the major scale.