Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

really tight strings? John Turner? :)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Dec 9, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    *bows to the all mighty Mr Turner* Hey John.. I need help on picking out strings.... really tight ones as well as kinda tight ones.. here is the story.. I have 2 Basses, which are my Salas Custom 4, and Moses Custom Fender Jazz Copy.... ok.. the Salas Custom 4 is going to be tuned down to "C F Bb Eb" which is 2 steps... and the Moses is going to be tuned down to "ADGC". Now i Have a question for you..

What kind of string should i get the Salas. I need something I can tune down to CFBbEb but it will be pretty tight!

What kind of string should I get for the Moses? Most Likely, I will take the nut out.. and get another one installed to put BEAD strings on it.. what kind of strings shoudl I get for those?? I Thinkt he BEAD strings would be a good idea since it will be on a graphite neck :)

Thanks for all the help to ANYONE or John Turner :D

DM

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    howdy!

really the main factor in string "tightness" is the diameter - the bigger the string, the tighter it will need to be to be tuned to pitch.

i know that d'addarrio makes lots of string sizes, as well as Dean Markley, here's the sizes that i would pick:

for the salas:

C : .127" - .130" (i tend to feel that a low B with anything less than .130" is too floppy, but tuning a low b up to c would probably tighten it up pretty well.

F : .105" - .107"

Bb : ~.085" - .088"

Eb : ~.065"

so basically get a regular 5 string set and use the lowest 4 strings. tuning up a full step will make it play fairly tight.

for the other tuning you'll have to look a little harder to find strings - just getting a BEAD set might be pretty loose when you drop it down.

i would use the following

A - .135" - .140" i've dropped my low B's (.135") to A before and it was ok, but it could've been tighter. the .140" may be hard to find, dean markley, d'addarrio, and a few other companies make them, you may need to order them, or try http://www.juststrings.com - i think they might have them.

D - .110" -.120" here again, get a low E and maybe go for the high side, size-wise, to increase the tension.

G - .85" - .95"

C - .65" - .75"

here you may need to experiment some - the larger strings tuned tighter may lose some of the punchiness that the lighter strings have.

before you cut a new nut, experiment with the sound and the strings, and make sure you like it.

also, before you hunt down these sizes, get a standard-gauge 5 string set and try it out on your basses with the tunings you want. see how you like the tension of each of the strings, and then you can modify the sizes from there. i think that would be your best bet to get what you want.

hope that helps :D

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    wahh long essay~ Thanks abunch John! I really needed that help... Do u think the B string will fit in to a regular nut?? I dunno if it will.. people say you don't have to change the bridge. but the nut.. ugh

DM

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would try it out with your nut first, to see if you like the new setup. if so, then get a new nut cut, and just replace the current one with a new one. this way, if you want to go back, you still have the old nut.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Which brand.. model do you suggest? I'm really not great with strings... i like the punchiness that comes in my Salas :)

I found a DAddario Electric Bass Chromes Flat Wound 5 String, .045 - .132 at Juststring for $34.

As for the .140 strings.. i can't find anywhere :(

Can you suggest some brands and models of strings that I Can try for the specs you gave me? I'm a NEWBIE with strings.. thanks for all of your help John

DM

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I just told couple of people about D'Addario and they said they are only good with Acoustic........ not Electric Guitars or Basses.. is that true? what kind of sound does D'Addario make?

DM

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    d'addario prisms are fine, many players swear by them. the set you mentioned above, flat wounds, would probably be a bit dull for your liking.

as for them only being good for accoustic, make sure they aren't thinking of d'acquisto (sp?) - different string company. d'addarrios are fine for electrics

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    JT: so I guess I will be getting these strings from Just String

1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .065 $5.82 (Eb String)
    1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .075 $6.28 (C String for ADGC)
    1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .085 $6.28 (Bb String)
    1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .095 $7.66 (G String)
    1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .105 $7.66 (F String)
    1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .125 $8.54 (D String)
    1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .130 $8.54 (C String)
    1 Prism Solid Stainless Steel .145 $8.54 (A String)

Looks like the total will be $59.32!!!!! :O

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, those prices are pretty good. good luck :D

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    JT: just tuned my basses to ADGC with the strings u told me to buy... oh my god, this might kill my neck on the Salas hehe :)

DM

[Edited by DarkMazda on 12-23-2000 at 08:12 PM]