Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

really weird sound coming from my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mactac, Jan 21, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    ... or at least i *think* it's coming from my bass...

every few minutes or so, I hear a "beeep, beep, beeep, beep" sound coming through my amp. if turn down the bass, the sound goes away...

there are usually 4-6 beeps in a row every few minutes. I can't describe the sound any more than that... sometimes they are more 'clicks' , and sometimes they are more 'beeps'.

any ideas? i'm at a loss....

2. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Are you wearing a cellphone in your pocket? :)

3. kLumick

kLumick

Apr 4, 2004
    ahh yes, it's most likely your cell phone. it does it through my aguilar 212. such a strange surprising sound.

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    If I turn up the treble of my bass I can listen to a FM radio station on my amp

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Our guitarist had this problem. Some wierd sounds that we couldn't track down. Then it just hit me, and I said, "Give me your cellphone." He pulled it out of his pocket and handed it to me. THe noise was gone. I think it was this high pitched whine, and everyone was happy that was gone, because it hurt your ears being amplified so much.

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I agree...most likely cell phone. I've had that happen to me many many times.

7. WOW! What an "ear"-opener. This is why I come to this site. It's amazing what you learn here. I usually take my cell out and put it on or off to the side of my amp so it's not in the way. Guess I've lucked out. I'll remember never to wear it while I'm playing, now!

Thanks for the thread, mactac.;) !

8. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    good lord... that's *exactly* what it was.... hahha

it was driving me crazy... no matter what i plugged in for fx or preamps, etc it always did it...

you guys rock. thanks.