Realy big problem OR disappointment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nami, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    Hi TBs from all over the world,
    I want to ask a question.
    I'm from israel, and instruments and all kind of music gear are expensive (Dr' strings set in a good price costs 40-50$ and a MIA fender standart jazz new is somthing like 1700$) and i baught a Ibanez SRX300D when i started playin'.
    I realized the fact that bass playin' is the Frickin' love of my life and now after playin' a while i got a good GK amp that i love and got a Boss GT-6b as a suprise present. but still i'm stuck with that Ibanez. I want to spend all my money on a new bass but here i can't afford anything and in th US prices i don't know what to do. should i borrow some money from my parents and buy a sadowsky metro RV/RS/UV70R or should i as a first good bass buy a MM ray or somthing ceaper then sadowsky. remember i have only one opportunity and i can't afford anything here in israel so i have to make the right choise because this bass whould be my main bass for 5 years from now ( from next year till after the army i cant get out of the country easily) so please help me!!!
  2. Shalom Nami, Ma shlomcha?
    Either bass is great and worth buying. I believe it all depends on what type of music you play. My preference would be the Sadowsky, but I have always been a Jazz bass owner!
    I know instruments are expensive in Eretz Yisrael, however, that should also help you should you decide to sell your bass later on.
    I would also speak to family and friends as I am sure you will find many people who have family and friends visiting all the time and they could always have someone bring a bass over to you. My in-laws just came back from Carmiel, so I cannot help for another year...
    good luck with your search.

3. I feel the MM matches up very well to the Metro's regarding quality, fit and finish, etc..... it's just a very different sound, so it depends what you want. Also, if you are looking for a 5 string, the MM has very, very tight string spacing, while the Sadowsky is very wide.... that really makes a difference in how those basses feel.

I'll have the opportunity to check out the new double pickup Stingray this weekend (TBer Cheezewiz's). That sounds like a very cool bass... PM me if you want my impressions of that in a couple of days.

I just played a UV Metro at a music store and was not very impressed... sounds nothing like a 70's Jazz Bass at all (which is what it's supposed to do from my understanding)... sounded nice, but very similar to the Vintage and standard Sadowsky, which are smaller and lighter and somewhat less expensive. Also, the neck profile was much larger on the UV than the Vintage and Standard. Finally, I'm a big fan of the optional VTC passive treble control on the Metro's... especially if you decide on one of the brighter sounding maple/ash models.

Good luck on your search.
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    How about a MIJ/CIJ Fender??? Their quality seems pretty consistant, and maybe you can get a decent price on one of them???

- georgestrings
  5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Dealers in the US are generally bound by dealership contracts not to sell overseas. If you're looking at a new Musicman, for example, you will only be able to buy one sourced from your local distributor. It might be possible to bypass this with a less than scrupulous dealer, but you're not going to be covered by a warranty.

Your best bet is to buy a used instrument from the US.
  6. Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    Hi, 10x for the help!
    i decieded only to save money for bass and in july i'll fly to the USA and go to bass central and try alot of basses and chose what i really like.

nice to see there are some pepole here that connected to israel :)

'till then
    i'm still that gal with the ibanez
  7. Good luck and have a great visit in July. Bass Central is a great shop, and they usually have a lot of great basses in stock.:)
  8. Sorry Nami, did not you you were a SHE!:smug:
    I would have greeted you differently!!!!:bag:
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Bass Central has A LOT of good brands, try as many as you can. They have sold me and F Bass and 2 Dingwalls. Keep an open mind. Those guys are great.
  10. Nami

Oct 14, 2005
    i don't think i'm a girl if that's what you ment.
    Gal is a unisex name (atlist in israel)
  11. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It sure isn't over here, you'll really confuse people going by Gal if your not female. No offense.