1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ReAmp: Passive or Active Box, and Why?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by agreatheight, Aug 4, 2012.

1. So I am looking to get into ReAmping for all manner of studio fun. I understand the basics of how it works, but I can't figure out if I should get an active or passive unit. I know the 'basic theory' with DIs is use an active DI with a passive instrument, and use a passive DI with an active instrument, but I don't know how active or passive applies a ReAmper passing the line level out of a DAW where signal level is established by a number of things (active or passive of the original instrument, active or passive of the DI, the gain involved, the level of the DAW track, etc). I mean really, shouldn't the line level of the recorded tracks be more or less the same once it gets into the DAW? I try to capture nice and loud and most of my tracks sit around between -6db and -10 db.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Eric

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yes. Whether the instrument recorded on the track is active or passive isn't relevant when re-amping.

3. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but I will say that one thing I didn't think of right away is making sure you use as many balanced cables as possible with your setup when ReAmping so you don't keep adding any weird buzzing over top of itself. Just one or two balanced cables in your signal chain can make a world of difference.