1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reamping...pre-out to input?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 18eranaRic, Mar 11, 2009.

1. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    I've heard of guys sending their preamp or line out (via 1/4") back to a second channel on the front of their amp.

First off....What? Why? Effect? Danger?

Second....Is this what they mean when they say, "Re-amping"?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Sounds ineffective to me for bass, perhaps useful for heavily-overdriven guitar.

Re-amping, however, is the studio technique of sending a recorded track to an amplifier, miking that, and recording it to a second channel. It's useful when you can't mike the amp during the original recording.

Re-amping seems more effective for bass, where you can start with a clean direct track. Guitar, on the other hand, is often played to exploit amplifier tone and effects, where the amp is like part of the instrument.

3. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    So it's not "re-amping" then. What is it called? If I try it...just to be curious, any danger?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    input staging

used a lot on the old alembic f2b or original showman circuit

WARNING - you may only do this on an amp with completely seperate preamps if you try it with a "2 channel" preamp that terminates in a single output be prepared for some damage.

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    You can get the same result with a hot active bass, or a boost pedal.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Ivan makes a good point. Most two-channel systems have two input sections that are mixed into a common output preamp section.

If you patch the preamp output back to one of the inputs, you'll get a nasty feedback loop.

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Its called feedback or howl round where I come from. Connect the output in phase to the input of an amplifier, any amplifier and all that will happen is you are going to reinvent the oscillator.:bassist:

8. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    Cool guys, I don't think I'll try it...I had a hunch there was some amp breaking potential here.