Rean jack -- which is +/-

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 83_Silberpfeil, Dec 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Looking at these REAN jacks
    Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio 1/4” PLASTIC REAN JACK 4 Pack

They look like they are a bit more sturdy and easier to solder the speaker wires to them. A few questions here...

1) How are these better/worse/different from the standard TR jacks without the black plastic casing?
    2) Which is + and which is - on these? Also, on the third image on the link, it shows 4 lead/contact points instead of just 2 --- how to use this?

Thanks!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Try following the terminals to the contacts and it should be obvious.

Looking from the front, the front right is sleeve and back right is tip. Sleeve is -, tip is +

fdeck and 83_Silberpfeil like this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A standard jack has a tip and a sleeve. The tip connects to the tip of the ¼" plug. The sleeve is normally the ground or the return. Speakon connectors use a different terminology, [+1] is analogous to the tip, [-1] is the sleeve.

The Rean jacks are different from the standard Switchcraft jacks that you see on many amps.. The advantage of the REAN jacks is that the terminals are isolated. With a standard Switchcraft jack, the sleeve is in contact with the chassis. If you want to ground the sleeve to the chassis, a Switchcraft jack will work well. A Rean jack can be advantageous if you want the jack terminal isolated from the chassis. This is used in some cases where you want to isolate the ground.

On a Rean jack like you referenced, the tip is furthest from the opening where you plug in; the sleeve is closest. Sometimes there are pairs of terminal like where you see four. In this case the opposite terminals are connected in series. It simply provides an extra tie point.

83_Silberpfeil likes this.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'm not seeing 4 poles on the REAN site, but when you're looking in a situation like this, always go to the manufacturer site, and see if they've got the PDF of the technical specs.

1/4'' Jacks - REAN Connectors

You'll notice PDFs with each product.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

instead of going with plastic phone connectors consider fitting Speakon connectors. They're a far better connector for speaker loads all around.

6. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011

Thanks for the "tips" --- puns surely intended. Cheers mate!

7. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Right on @beans-on-toast --- very clear, thanks for the lesson!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  8. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Right on @BassmanPaul . Looked into that today. So if I were to take the Neutrik Speakon route, it would look something like this:

Crown XLS2000 bridge output (Channel 1) >>>male Neutrik Speakon >>> male Neutrik Speakon >>> female Neutrik jack (on the cab) >>> speakers.

Speakers are 2 X 15" @ 8 ohms each hooked up in parallel, so 4 ohms to the amp.

Interesting that I found on the Crown owner manual to use the +1 and +2 terminals (where usually it is +1 and -1?). According to the Crown manual for bridged mode:
    "If using a Speakon® connector, connect the positive terminal of the speaker to 1+ and the negative terminal to 2+.
    Plug the connector into the Channel 1 output only."

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Note: Rean is a brand made by Neutrik. I think those plastic connectors are actually quite well designed and robust. However, I would consider Speakons. From the same website, I particularly like this one:

Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio Neutrik NL4MPR Speakon Panel Mount Connector

Both of my DIY speakers have these. The flange is big enough that you don't need a jack plate.

10. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    The "key" here is for using in "bridged mode"

for "normal" operation you would use +1 & -1.

83_Silberpfeil and BassmanPaul like this.
  11. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks @fdeck . So, working backwards from the speaker up to the power amp, if I wire the speaker to the Neutrik NL4MPR you liked such that:

positive terminal of the speaker to 1+ and the negative terminal to 2+ of the NL4MPR

--- then what about the Speakon cable? This one here says it is wired to the 1+ and 1- poles. I'm assuming that the connectors on this cable has 4 poles. Will I need to rewire the connectors to 1+ and 2+?
    Official Speaker Repair Site - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio GLS Audio 3' 12G Speaker Cable - Neutrik to Neutrik - NL4FX Speakon (NL4FC) 3ft

A bit confused with the complexity.

Thanks!

12. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I only own two bass heads with Speakon outputs, and my speakers are both DIY, so I can't claim that they adhere to a standard. In both cases, the amplifiers use the 1+ and 1- terminals, and my speakers use the 1+ and 1- terminals as well. That seems to be the standard for mainstream bass amps, i.e., not bi-amped or multi-channel.

The 4-terminal Speakons seem to be intended for more complicated setups, and I just ignore 2+ and 2-. Some folks prefer the 4-terminal plugs because they are mechanically a bit nicer and easier to assemble, but not because they need the extra two terminals. I use the plastic 2-terminal plugs because they are cheaper, and in any event my gear is typically "light duty," i.e., it doesn't get thrown around by roadies etc.

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Circuit 2 for bass amplification is not used for anything except bridge connections and biamped connections.

If you don't understand what this means, you might want to get some help to look over what you have and what you are trying to do.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  15. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks for the cautious advice @agedhorse . The instructions on the Crown amp manual is explicit on how the Speakon cables should be wired in bridge mode.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    2000 watts RMS is a lot of power for any 215. Exactly which cabinet are you talking about?

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I have been using stereo power amps of one kind or an other since the early Eighties. I have yet to feel the need to bridge any of them. I run in parallel mono with one load on each channel. Dumping 2KW into a standard 2x15 is not healthy for the drivers as Andy posted above.

I would install a Speakon on the jack plate and wire a woofer to the +1 -1 circuit and the other to the +2 -2 circuit. Paralleling the amps inputs will drive both woofers with an identical signal. I use a Carvin HD2000 with my pair of 350W Acme cabinets. each on a separate channel as I described above. In this configuration each cabinet can see up to around 500W if I turn up loud enough. Doing so would get me fired from any band I tried this with. :(

Simply put, just 'cos you have power available doesn't mean you should try to wring every last watt out of the unit. Run your equipment conservatively and it will last just about for ever. :)

Just as an underline, the stereo amp I built in the Eighties is still working flawlessly and currently sits atop my B15 cabinet for rehearsal.

18. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011

Hello @agedhorse --- thanks again for chiming in. Indeed 2000 W RMS is tons of power. However, my intension has never been to squeeze out the last wattage from the amp and killing my 2X15s. My intention was simplicity --- wiring up 2X15 in parallel into a single jack just keeps everything simple.

The cab I'm using is a custom mod that I just completed --- and unit tested (in my back yard). There's a bit of short history here. I started out with a Ampeg SVT 1540, shell that supposedly Fleetwood Mac used on tour, and put in 2 Gauss 15" 8 ohms, I think they were 5480's from EBAY. I drove them with a Crown DC300a. The whole thing fried --- amp, and the drivers. Smelled like a sh*tty BBQ. BTW, the 2X15 were wired 1 speaker to a jack.

So, next I went with a modern reliable/proven equipment: Crown XLS2000 amp driving 2 X 15" Eminence Kappa Pro 15A's @ 8 ohms each. This time I wired them in parallel (into a 4 ohm load) and used genuine Neutrik Speakon connectors all the way to the amp. Tested it out last night and it sounded really good. Lows were deep and mids were bright. The volume dial on the Crown for Channel 1 never made it past 10 O'Clock and it was extremely loud.

Will definitely keep in mind your comment about 2000 watts --- indeed tons of power.

19. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    Hello @BassmanPaul -- thanks for commenting. Yeah, the bridging mode thing came about because I wanted a simpler connection --- a single Neutrik Speakon. I used the instructions from the Crown XLS2000 manual which was to wire the Speakon cable (amp to cab): +1 is white/red, +2 is black, this is for both ends of the cable. Then inside the cab, it was +1 for white/red, and -1 and +2 for black (this makes sure it is usable with standard 2 channel mode).

Again, not trying to wring out every last watt, rather just keeping the connections simple

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021