Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reaping the benefits of small gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, May 23, 2005.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    This past Saturday was our first job in this particular venu. l had been up since 5am from my other job. I load in around 8pm and there are 3 large flights of stairs. Thank goodness for the 39 lb Aggie 112's and AG500SC head. I can't imagine carrying my 4x10 and much heavier rack case (head/power conditioner) up them.
    It's good to be a player today with all the options on performance and weight designed to "keep it low". I'm really happy with the portablility of this set up, especially at the end of a very long day.

Buzz :)

2. I hear you on that. The funny thing is, after all the years of trying to find a small, light cabinet that sounded big, the new technology allowed me to go big versus small!

For years, I went through EA's Acme's, Flite, Bag End etc. and was always disappointed... not so much with the tone of these small cabs, but the fact that small cabinets just cannot move enough air. I tried using two small cabs but found that was a hassle, since you typically need an extra cart, etc.

So, the amazing thing is, the new technology (primarily Neo speakers, along with class D amps) has finally allowed me to go BIG! I'm in heaven... my Epifani410UL is only around 60 pounds (actually less than the combined weight of the two small 12 cabs you mentioned). I have removable castors on it, so I just stick my head (usually a WWUltra) on top, strap my bass to my back and roll the thing in. I can easily lift if on stage by myself. Awesome. There's nothing like a big box for a big sound!

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I certainly like my gear light. I just got done building a 210 with Eminence Deltalites, and the final weight on the cab is a hair over 40lbs. I'm using this with a 42lb Avatar 112, and I love having cabs that I can carry around effortlessly. I'll never go to a much heavier set of cabs again so long as I'm the one schlepping them around.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Amen Bro.

It is also very cool that the current neo technology allows us to have bigger, yet lightweight cabs. (and yes i know there is a raging debate on neo speakers, but what the heck - it's still cool)

My typical rig is a bag end 15 and a bag end 12, a under 20 lb stewart 2.1 poweramp in one 2-space rack case (yep, i know there is a raging power amp debate too), and another two space rack case with a demeter preamp. Very portable and fits anywhere.

Now all i need is a ruxxac or cart-a-bag and i'll be really cool. :cool:

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'll be getting into Schroeder very soon. This will be in departure of an 8x10, so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the joys of a smaller cabinet very soon.