Rear mic -- why?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by c-ba55, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Just recorded with my amp, and they put an SM57 in back of it as an auxiliary mic. What is the idea with micing the back of the cab?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My guess is that they put a mic in the back and wired it out-of-phase compared to the front mic, probably to get a more natural "roomy" sound.

I heard this before, but mostly with guitar combos with open cabs. People like Danny Gatton used to do that a lot.

But I don't think it's much use with a closed bass-reflex cab.
  3. Options!

Thinks about it: you put your amp in the middle of a room and throw up 5 mics in an assortment of different places and distances.

Each one will give you a different tone. Seriously.

Then you can mix them together to find the "right" sound.

Micing the back of the cab gives a different tone that may have been useful. The engineers thought it might, and if your happy with the recording of what you played, roll with it.
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    When we record demos of our band, we usually place one mic in back of the amp, it really thickens up the sound.
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey better yet.. set up 5 mics strategically in your room and record in 5.1. you just need an encoder and a plug in. Not thats trendy
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is your cab rear ported?

At a recent recording session they miced up one of each size driver (a 10", a 15", and the horn) plus and every cabinet port.