Rear ported cab placement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Any words of wisdom regarding rear ported cabinet placement?

I'll be gigging a small(ish) 600sq foot bar room with my new Ampeg B100R combo tomorow night.

2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I like to lean mine back against a wall so it angles up towards my head, and then stand 10-15' in front of it. The rear ports really shouldn't make any difference.
  3. One diameter or more between the port and the wall.
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you are lucky and the stage has a corner to it, set it there so the two walls are making a V behind the port. About a foot away from the walls. That's the best situation I've come across. Now go ahead everybody, call me crazy.:bassist:
  5. Six inches to a foot away from the wall insures that you won't be blocking the ports, and the amp will have a little air circulation for cooling.

6. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

I believe, the term 'diameter', is referring to "1 to 2 times the 'diameter' of the port/s", is equal to the minimum distance from a solid, flat surface... such as a wall??

I do the same with my stereo speakers at home...

On a side note;
    my 1x15", front mounted, no port cabinet puts out almost as much bass punch behind it, than from the speaker out front... makes for some thinking about cabinet placement.

michael s.